Re: ISA Enterprise Edition and Active Directory

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:59:38 -0800

The first thing I would do is rethink my strategy as to load balancing and
redundancy.

Enterprise Arrays get you:
1. Centralized management of multiple ISA Servers with all the bennies of
differing array policies
2. CARP; a cache-sharing mechanism that helps to "spread the wealth" of the
associated ISA Server cache drives and RAM
3. CARP support in wpad or /array.dll?Get.Routing.Script (allows the client
to "walk the list" of servers)

..notice how none of the above items include the words "failover" or
"redundancy"?  The reason is that (IMHO) any failover technique that depends
on the client making informed decisions regarding the state of a remote
server is doomed to failure.

DNS Round Robin is another example of such a technique.  The state of any
given server is never fully understood by the clients it serves.
Consequently, long timeouts and unwarranted failures are often the result of
a dependency on this kind of load-balancing or failover choice.

Unless $$ are the primary factor in this chice (unlikely, since you can
afford $5K per CPU license), then you should investigate a separate software
or hardware solution.

Both http://microsoft.com/isaserver/partners and http://isaserver.org
include long lists of both items.  Something there should fit the bill quite
nicely for you.

 Jim Harrison
 MCP(NT4, W2K), A+, Network+, PCG
 http://www.microsoft.com/isaserver