Re: Hosting multiple websites using prefixes (host headers)?

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 17:39:47 -0700

Even easier is to host the site as "friend.mydomain.com"
1. create the site in IIS and assign the host header as the name of the site
"friend.mydomain.com".  This allows multiple sites to coexist on a single
IP/port combination
2. create a destination set that includes that name "friend.mydomain.com"
with the path of "/*"
3. create a web publishing rule that allows the destination set of
"friend.mydomain.com" and make sure to "pass the original host header"
4. make the appropriate DNS entries

I do this for other friends and it works beautifully.  It also has the side
benefit of not requiring any redirection on the part of ISA or the web
server.

Jim Harrison
MCP(2K), A+, Network+, PCG