Re: Hosting multiple websites using prefixes (host headers)?

  • From: "Jim Harrison" <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2001 06:42:38 -0700

Almost, but not quite...  ;-)
Inline...

Jim Harrison
MCP(2K), A+, Network+, PCG

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Duncan" <paulduncan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2001 11:15 PM
Subject: [isalist] Re: Hosting multiple websites using prefixes (host
headers)?

http://www.ISAserver.org

Hi Jim and thanks for the response.

It was great to know that this is being done by someone and therefore is
possible.

Even though you tried to make it as easy for me as possible with numbered
steps I still stumbled somewhere - sorry.

Step 1 - I created a site in IIS for my new site. It had existed
previously as a sub folder on my default website (eg
www.mydomain.com/friend which works fine) and I created the new site with
the home directory as this same folder. I'm hoping I can just keep
creating sites like this.

* Better that they live in their own folders.  right now, you can connect to
both and that may get confusing later.

Step 2 - I created a new destination set similar to friend.mydomain.com
including a path /friend/* where the files have always been.

* Unless you have that folder under the new site, use the "/*" path as I
indicated.  Otherwise, you're limiting the connection to that folder and
below.  No one will ever see the root of the new site.

Step 3 - I created a new web publishing rule that uses the new destination
set and passes the original host header. Curiously here the "Action" tab
has the field asking what web server to redirect the request to. In
SBS2000 I can only get publishing to work with my full server name
servername.mydomain.com here (notice I used my internet domain name as my
local domain name too). In the Shinder tutorial the server machine IP
address is used and in the Brainbuzz.com/Grasdel tutorial the web
servername is used (www.mydomain.com). Is there a DNS issue here for me.

* Possibly, but you should be just fine with the internal IP.  Remember that
ISA has to resolve the name as entered.  You _don't_ want to use the
external name here.

Step 4 - Do you mean my Internet Registrar DNS. If so I have created an A
record for friend.mydomain.com pointing to my external IP address the same
as my default web site. If you mean my local DNS, then I'm a bit thin on
experience here - I have depended on the default DNS setup in SBS2000 to
work 'out of the box'.

* I haven't used SBS2K, so I don't know what the setup is, but I suspect
it's less than optimal.  DNS is a very "personal" thing and requires some
forethought and planning.  Can you ping the internal web server name from
the ISA?

I would be very grateful if you could clarify these points for me. When I
try to hit the new site I get the 403 Forbidden ISA error - Denied URL
(12202). I tried restarting IIS and the web proxy service but no luck.

* 12202 is ISA refusing the request because either:
    1. there is a rule that explicitly refuses the request (complete match,
deny rule)
    2. there is a rule that implicitly refuses the request (partial match,
allow rule)
    3. there are no rules that allow the request (default rule - denies)
..if I had to guess, I'd say it's the /friend/* in the destination set.

Thanks heaps (I could screen grab my configurations and send them to you
privately as an attachment if that would help - and isn't stretching the
friendship)

Paul