RE: Getting My Head Around a Fake Network

  • From: "Steve Moffat" <steve@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:15:13 -0400

Inline

________________________________

From: Wayne Berry [mailto:wayne@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 6:10 PM
To: ISA Mailing List
Subject: [isalist] Getting My Head Around a Fake Network

http://www.ISAserver.org

Gang,

Ok I would like to run a small network on my PC using Virtual PCs to
test ISA 2004 server.  What I want to do is open a Virtual PC with 2
NICs, and run ISA server 2004 on it.  Then run a second Virtual PC that
"thinks" it is on the network of one of the NICs from the first VPC with
ISA server on it.  I know that some of you do this, however I can't seem
to wrap my head around how to do it.

1)       I have to Virtual NICs on the ISA Server box, one has the
Static setting from the LAN the real PC runs on, what do I give the
other NIC for IP Ranges for the "inside" network?

You don't need 2 nics, just create another virtual nic in the hosts
settings. Just treat the V Network as another network, different range.

2)       How do I tell the 2cd VPC to use the ISA Server box as the
Gateway?

Use the ISA's IP as the Gateway as usual

3)       Do I really need two NICs on the ISA Server Virtual PC?

NO

-Wayne