Getting My Head Around a Fake Network

  • From: "Wayne Berry" <wayne@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:09:46 -0800

Gang,

Ok I would like to run a small network on my PC using Virtual PCs to test
ISA 2004 server.  What I want to do is open a Virtual PC with 2 NICs, and
run ISA server 2004 on it.  Then run a second Virtual PC that "thinks" it is
on the network of one of the NICs from the first VPC with ISA server on it.
I know that some of you do this, however I can't seem to wrap my head around
how to do it.

1)       I have to Virtual NICs on the ISA Server box, one has the Static
setting from the LAN the real PC runs on, what do I give the other NIC for
IP Ranges for the "inside" network?

2)       How do I tell the 2cd VPC to use the ISA Server box as the Gateway?

3)       Do I really need two NICs on the ISA Server Virtual PC?

-Wayne