RE: DirecWay / DirecPC ?

  • From: "John Tolmachoff" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'[ISAserver.org Discussion List]'" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 06:56:52 -0800

A word of caution on satellite connections:

Some providers are known to use double NAT or other interesting means of
assigning IP address to there customers.

For example, I am also a mail admin. As part of the security provided in the
web mail package, when a user first logs in, the mail server assigns a
session ID. Every time the user goes to a different page, (Next message,
compose, menu, etc,) the session ID is compared to the computer and user
settings to verify it is still the same session. What happens is in the mean
time the satellite provider has changed something in the IP stream, not the
users IP address, which the web mail sees and now different, and kicks the
user off.

I am not sure if I explained this clearly, so if anyone has further
questions, connect me directly.

John Tolmachoff MCSE, CSSA
IT Manager, Network Engineer
RelianceSoft, Inc.