RE: Change IP Address of VPN

  • From: "Thomas W Shinder" <tshinder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 01:36:08 -0500

Hi William,

OK, I now understand your problem. However, I do not understand the solution :-)

The conventional wisdom is that all outbound communcations leave with a source
address that is the primary address on the external interface of the ISA
Server. However, as you've discovered, that is not true. That fact is, there is
no documentation as to what changes the source address to change from the
primary address to one of the secondary addresses. I suspect its related to
VPN, but since I really have no idea as to what's going on, it could be
anything.

Since there is no way to bind a particular service to a particular port for
outbound access, you can't depend on a particular address of the external
interface to be used as an identifier by a remote host. You can provide the
range, but forget out used a single address on the external interface as an
authenticator.

HTH,
Tom

Thomas W Shinder