Re: AW: Online Banking Issues

  • From: "William Holmes" <wtholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "[ISAserver.org Discussion List]" <isalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:13:16 -0400

Hello,

This issue happens when the don't defragment bit is set, and MTU path
discovery is unavailable due to uninformed firewall administrators who
think "ALL ICMP IS BAD". There are certainly ICMP based attacks but they
don't warrent completly killing off ICMP.

What would be nice is for VPNs to simply (within the tunnel) ignore the
don't defragment bit, or to have a DHCP option that could be used to set
the Max MTU size for the local network. It is possible to set the MTU
for an interface to somthing under 1400 and eliminate this problem
(Q120642) but it is not ideal.

Bill