Feb 2003 #2 Computer IT Education & Training Newsletter

  • From:
  • To: intelinfo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 14 Feb 2003 07:28:00 -0800

         Newsletter for Computer IT Education,
             Training & Tutorial Resources

          *** ISSUE #30-2 - February 2003 ***
              2nd edition for this month

     This Newsletter is only sent to its subscribers and
     is available in early March, 2003 on the web at

     Newsletter Archives are here:

     Subscribe and unsubscribe instructions are at the end.

     Please forward this newsletter to all your friends
     and associates who might be interested!

In This Issue:

1)... Editor's Greeting

2)... The Best New Free I.T. Training & Tutorial Sites

3)... New Free I.T. Books & Book Sites

4)... University Computer Science Course Sites

5)... The Best Suggested Sites from Website Users

6)... New I.T. Training & Tutorial Link Sites

7)... I.T. Sites Worth Mentioning

8)... Frequently Asked Questions about Technical Training

9)... Please Support Our Computer Training Mission

1) Editor's Greeting:

Hello everyone, and welcome to our new subscribers!

This is the 2nd edition of our February 2003 issue of our free
semi-monthly newsletter for Computer IT Education, Training, &
Tutorial Resources providing you with the latest Free online IT
Training Resources that we have recently discovered and
researched. This newsletter is free to anyone subscribing
(instructions at bottom, no username/password is needed). To
access our member site, however, you do need a user name and
password - registering as a member of Intelligentedu.com costs $10 for
two months, for more information please see below 'Become a
Member of Intelligentedu.com'.

My desire is that these free resources will help you with your
computer education and training and are tools to advance your IT
career. Our main mission is the training of those less fortunate
who are seeking to become computer literate, both technically and
from a user's perspective.

In this issue we describe and link to a total of 35 computer, IT
and programming learning and tutorial web sites. By means of this
email newsletter, you have knowledge of and access to these sites
before our web site visitors do.

*** Current News ***

For your convenience, this newsletter is also available to
subscribers in HTML format at this special url:

We have been working on our new end-user training site and will
have it ready soon.

I wish you the best with your computer studies and learning.

Warm Regards,
Scott Turton
Newsletter Editor and Webmaster

Please Visit One of Our Sponsors and request more information -
doing this enables us to bring you these great free computer and
IT training resources every month:

University of Phoenix Online: Advance your career:

Free to Sell - The Ultimate eBook! (lowest price on the web):

"Learn New Skills and Increase Your Earning Power
 - With Free Online Computer Training!"

*** Become a Member of Intelligentedu.com ***

Our Members' Site contains the web's best computer and IT
training resources and tutorials. This content is individually
linked and presented in a way to expedite and facilitate your IT
learning experience. We have done all the web research and
presentation work for you so you can concentrate solely on your
computer training. For short FAQ Answers, please see the end of
this newsletter.

The total price to join as a member is only $10 total for 2
months, $18.50 for 4 months or $25.50 for 6 months. The funds
generated will assist us to help all those seeking IT education
and application development training. Here's the link to see
what's available on our member's site and to sign up:

-->Here are Your 4 Rewards for Subscribing to this Newsletter<--

*** Free Online IT Training Materials for Subscribers***
This section of our site contains over 2,000 free IT, computer
and programming training resource links:

*** Free Online Computer Training and Tutorial Resources***
Containing over 8,000 free IT training and tutorial resources,
this section of our site is available only to our newsletter
subscribers and web site members:

*** Free e-Book: "Understanding Computer Security" ***
Our new e-book contains the best information from U.S. government
agency computer security papers and guides and presents it in a
coherent and understandable manner. My hope is that this e-book
will make computer security easier to learn. Click here to
receive your Free Copy:
(553 kb). When unzipped it is a windows executable.

*** And here is your fourth reward for being our subscriber:
we'll show you how to get 50% more traffic to your site for free
- Click on this link to sign up at the best free traffic
generator on the web today: http://tinyurl.com/4i2x

2)  The Best New Free I.T. Training & Tutorial Sites:

This section of our newsletter contains the best new free IT
training and tutorial sites that we have found and researched in
the last few weeks. These resources will be added to our Free IT
Training & Courses page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat1.html,
our Free IT Tutorials and Guides page at
http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat2.html, or to our members' site.

Programming Resources:

Primers and tutorials with code examples, for students new to
programming, plus a compiled directory of programming resources
and related topics for students, programmers and developers. Our
site includes Simula, C, C++, Visual Basic, QBasic, Java, C#,
.NET, ASP.NET; and also the scripting topics of JavaScript,
VBScript, and Active Server Pages 3.0

The Essence of C Tutorial:

C in 10 lessons by K. J. Bricknell. This is a compact tutorial
that covers many of the important topics in the C programming

This site provides you with the following tutorials:

Visual Basic:

New W3C Scripting Interface Standard:

The W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) has released the
specifications for level 2 of the Document Object Model. This is
a platform and language-neutral interface that defines the way
languages such as JavaScript and Java interact with elements in
HTML or XHTML pages. You can also use their free suite to verify
whether you application conforms to these new standards.

Linux Debian Documentation and Slides:

We have recently moved all our desktop computers over to Xandros
Linux, which is based on the Debian distribution. Here are
learning materials for Debian GNU/Linux:

Debian Documentation Project:

Archive of Presentation Slides:

Talks given by developers:

More presentation slides:

Cool Tutorials in Flash format from IT Training & Education at
Indiana University:

HTTP Transaction Process:

FTP Process:

CGI Process:

Boolean Search Logic:

Unix File Permissions:

The February Linux Productivity Magazine:

This is a Perl Tk tutorial and reference containing details of
major Tk widgets, and culminating with a GPL-licensed speech
timer program. Part 1 explains the use of Perl Tk, while Part 2
will discuss generic RAD objects and database connectivity. Kick
back, relax, and learn how to rapidly create cross platform GUI

palowireless Wireless Resource Center:

Provides a full spectrum of resources for wireless industry
professionals - includes tutorials (and links to tutorials)
covering Wireless, Bluetooth, GSM, i-mode, Java, SyncML, WAP, and

NIST Computer Security Special Publications:

This page is where you will find the NIST Computer Security
Special Publications from the 500 and 800 series. These security
guides and standard documents cover everything, including emai,
telecommunications, e-commerce, SQL, wireless, Windows,
firewalls, public keys, intrusion detection, anti-virus, and

This site offer Windows, Flash, Director, XML tutorials, also
provides online tutorials on computer maintenance and

Visual Basic Resource: Tutorials and Downloads:

This site covers these VB areas: beginner, multimedia, games,
math, string, controls, and statement.

Four Free MCSE Core Exam Cram Sheets:

Get your free Windows 2000 study sheets here, free registration

Version 2.0 of theForger's Win32 API Tutorial:

This tutorial attempts to get you started developing with the
Win32 API as quickly and clearly as possible. It is meant to be
read as a whole, so please read it from beginning to end. Here is
their excellent FAQ: http://winprog.org/faq/

3) New Free Computer IT Books, Publications & Book Sites:

Some of these web resources will be added to our Free IT Books
page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/free_computer_books.html and
some will be added to our members site.

Free Programming Books and Tutorials:

This site contains includes these book and tutorial downloads:

Teach Yourself C In 21 Days:

From The Ground Up, A Guide to C++:

Programming C++:

C++ in 21 Days 2nd Edition:

Guide to JAVA Programming:

Teach Yourself Perl 5 in 21 days:

HTML Tutorial:

Computer Books, Tutorials & Lecture Notes:

This site provides many links to computer and IT books, manuals,
and documentation. Here are some of the links provided:

Teach Yourself Unix in 24 Hours:

Linux Kernel 2.4 Internals:

Effective Perl Programming:

Programming .Net With C#

Data Structures and Algorithms with Object-Oriented Design
Patterns in C#:

A Programmer's Introduction to VB.NET:

Annotated Network Diagram Visualisation using Tcl/Tk:

XML and Databases:

Data Transfer Strategies - Transferring data between XML
documents and relational databases:

The Art of Computer Game Design:

This text was originally composed by computer game designer Chris
Crawford in 1982. Washington State University Vancouver
generously made resources available to hire graphic artist Donna
Loper to produce this electronic version.

Grokking the GIMP:

Learning Advanced Image Editing Techniques - a leading book for
learning advanced digital image editing techniques using the GNU
Image Manipulation Program, the GIMP.  The book provides
everything needed to learn the GIMP, including tutorials,
beginning and advanced techniques, and practical information

Oracle9i Database Online Documentation:

This site contains many online guides and references for Oracle9i
Release 9.2. Here is the complete list of the books:

Here is a mirror of the above:

Here are sites hosting Oracle9i Release 9.01 documentation:

Here are more Oracle materials:

Oracle Application Server Documentation:
Overview, Glossary, Installation, Administration, and Developer

Oracle9i Application Server Release 1 (v1.0.2.2) Documentation

Oracle/SQL Tutorial:

4) University Computer Science Course Sites
   Free to Browse and Study:

These web sites will be added to our Free University IT Course
Webs page at http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat3.html

Computing Course Notes:

This page contains links to course notes, here are some of them:

Roger Peel's Web Publishing Resources:

Systems Analysis and Design:

Roger Peel's Computer Technology Resources:

Object Oriented Software Engineering:

Software Engineering 104:

This course introduces students to the foundations of software
engineering by using the object-oriented design methodologies
required for the generation and maintenance of reliable software.
(Java and UML)

Computer Science 252 - Graduate Computer Architecture:

This course has good, detailed notes covering: early systems, CPU
design, instruction sets, control, processors, busses, ALU,
memory, pipelined computers, multiprocessors, and case studies.

5) The Best Suggested Sites from our Website Users - Every month
we feature the best suggested IT training and tutorial sites from
our website visitors. Here are this month's sites:

Kippez A+ Prepare Test:

This site currently has 50 A+ related questions with answers, not
a braindump site.

Provides quality free online practice questions and TechNotes
written by experienced and knowledgeable tech writers for
MCSE/MCSA, CompTIA  A+ , NET+, i-net+ and Cisco certifications
with exhibits explanations and references. Free registration

Secret Guide to Computers:

A complete computer tutorial. It includes learning material for
Hardware, Software, Internet and Programming.

Delphi Pages:

Offers many Delphi tutorials, for both begginers and
professionals, sample applications and lots of tips. Very useful
for Delphi begining programmers interested to learn more about

The Definitive Guide to Windows Desktop Administration:

This free book will take a close look at the life cycle of
Windows desktop administration from the initial OS deployment to
change management through best practices. The chapters are added
over a period of time.

Million Dollar Computer Consultant:

This free 211 page guide covers strategies for computer
consultants in the area of management, marketing, sales,
relationships and growth. The author, Bryan Brandenburg, also
offers some excellent articles here:

6) New Computer & IT Training & Tutorial Link & Resource Sites:

These web sites will be added to our IT Links and Resources page
at http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat6.html

Search Adobe PDF Online:

Search for computer tutorials, programming help, etc. - many,
many documents.

7) I.T. Sites Worth Mentioning:

PC Tuning Tips:

Get more performance from your PC or broadband connection
following the suggestions at this excellent site.

If you've ever needed to identify what a board does just from its
IC chips, you'll find this site invaluable. It allows you to
identify chip function, pin-outs and other data just by entering
the chip ID number.

Backup your Windows drivers with this free utility that
identifies all your driver files and saves them where you want,
across networks also. This will make your windows reinstalls
easier, particularly for those PCs whose configuration you are
not sure about.

Hagai's Freeware:

13 free utility apps for you, including: bug checker, screen
saver loader, clock, shutdown utility, CD autorun, boot editor,
menu, counter, icon viewer and editor.

8) Frequently Asked Questions about Technical Training:

Each month Scott Turton will answer one of the frequently asked
questions we receive about computer and IT training and career

February 2003 FAQ #2: I want to learn about Clustering
technologies and how to cluster computers together.

Answer: There are various technologies and methods related to
networking computers together in clusters. Here are some good,
online resources to help you learn how to do this.

Cluster Computing Info Centre:
Look at the presentation slides, free software, and documentation

PDC User Training:
The Center for Parallel Computers training activities are
intended to make high-performance, parallel computing more
accessible, click on the Learning Materials links.

This page contains links to documentation on all three types of
Linux clustering, as well as general Linux documentation that you
might find useful while dealing with the normal operating system
aspects of Linux.

Open Source Cluster Application Resources, talks and articles:

Strictly On-Line: A High-Availability Cluster for Linux

Linux High Availability Cluster Checklist

Clustering Technologies for Windows 2000 Advanced Server and
Datacenter Server:

I hope this helps you.

Scott Turton
Computer Education, Training & Tutorial Resources

9) Please Support Our Training Mission

How You Can Support Our IT Training Mission

Please help support Intelligentedu.com's Computer and IT Education and
Training Mission by visiting our sponsors below. By doing so, you
will be helping people who want to learn to use computers in an
Information Technology career.

University of Phoenix Online: Advance your career:

DeVry: Online degrees for working adults?

ITT Technical Institute: Choose from their many programs:

Free to Sell - The Ultimate eBook!
(lowest price on the web)

Search for IT Training:

Computer Colleges:

American College of Computer & Information Sciences:
Get the degree you need to advance your career...online at your

Saint Leo University Online:
Accelerated Online Degree Programs: Business and Accounting,
Computer Information, Criminal Justice, Liberal Arts.

University Alliance Schools:
Accelerated degrees and flexible online courses with streaming
video lectures

Computer Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources

Free I.T. Training Now!

A free and member-based I.T. educational and training portal web
site. We have compiled, categorized, described, and linked many,
many sites that will be of keen interest to computer science
students and instructors and others seeking free training and
knowledge about computers. All areas are covered, from
programming to systems administration to networking to the
internet. You are able to study and learn all about computers and
I.T. via Free training, courses, tutorials, books, guides,
documentation, articles, tips, notes, and help. Also offered are
free technical training tutorials co-branded with
Beginners.uk.co. Check us out today.

Copyright Notice: Please note that all of the items hyperlinked
are copyrighted by their authors and/or publishers. You are
expected to look for, read, and adhere to such notices.
Downloaded and online material is copyrighted whether or not a
copyright notice is present.

*** Intelligentedu.com's Member Site ***

Our Members' Site contains the web's best computer and IT
training resources and tutorials. This content is individually
linked and presented in a way to expedite and facilitate your IT
learning experience. We have done all the web research and
presentation work for you so you can concentrate solely on your
computer training.

Intelligentedu.com Member Site FAQ Answers:

1. Over half of the web sites and pages in our members site are
not in the free section of our web site. The online training
resources in our members' site are linked and laid out in a much
more detailed fashion than those in the free section. This will
save you time in finding all the best free training on the web.

2. If you use a credit card when joining, it will be billed by
Verotel. When your membership period expires, you will be asked
if you want to renew your membership, you will not be
automatically charged another fee on your credit card or check.

3. You can also use PayPal to sign-up as a member of
Intelligentedu.com, just use this link:
<http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/become_a_member.html>. If you
register to pay $10.00 (for 2 months access) via PayPal using
this method, simply tell us in the 'Special Instructions' what
you want for your user name and password.

4. If your country is not listed in the drop-down list, please
use 2checkout.com to register as an intelligentedu.com site member
using this link:
<http://www.intelligentedu.com/links/intelinfo_member.html>. I will
then send you an email asking what you would like to use for your
user name and password.

The total price to join our member's site is only $10 total for 2
months, $18.50 for 4 months, or $25.50 for 6 months. The funds
generated will assist us to help all those seeking IT education
and application development training. Here's the link to see
what's available on our member's site and to sign up:
<http://www.intelligentedu.com/sign-up/index.html>. You can email
Scott Turton with questions at scott_turton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I will give you 8 great Free Bonuses when you sign up now.
These are as follows:
1. A Comprehensive 47-page IT Glossary
2. How To Understand Windows Error Messages program
3. 105 Great Totally Free Utility Programs
4. A Bug Tracking Access
5. The Four Best IT Salary Calculator/Wizard sites
6. 12 Great Web Resources for Learning the Best Methods
    to Study and Take Tests
7. Six Great e-Books (a $120 value) to help you Make Money
    using the Internet
8. Five extra bonus IT resource sites that are the best from
    our "worth mentioning" newsletter section

To Subscribe to this Free monthly Newsletter of Computer
Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources simply send a blank
email to this address:
(You will need to reply to a confirming email.)

Or go to this web page:

To Unsubscribe from this Free monthly Newsletter of Computer
Education, Training, & Tutorial Resources simply send a blank
email to this address:
(no need to confirm)

Or go to this web page:

Thank You!