[insightsa] reply re Cyclists on footpaths

  • From: "David Squirrell" <squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "David Squirrell" <squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 15:19:58 +1030

Hi Lui

Thank you for your comments (left at the bottom for a context)

Although insight SA is not a chat site I believe members of the site may be
interested in some other aspects as our advocacy is not to alienate people
but to look at the broader context as to pedestrian safety.

Back in February march I attempted to collaborate with BikeSA but found
their attitude to be somewhat dismissive & unhelpful. Equally we tried to
engage the Minister without receiving replies & we made a submission but
were not invited by the Citizens Jury to enter into any further discussion.
The process we embarked upon is highly supported by the Pedestrian Council
of Australia. I have also had discussion with senior police (access & social
inclusion plan committee). We have also had dialogue with several councils.

Other issues are the policing , speed restriction & should an accident occur
the aspect of identification, police reporting & insurance. There is no
health guidelines as to who may use a bike or gopher at this stage which
concerns many groups including the police. This is mainly due to the lack of
registration regulation.

Currently there is no compulsory insurance plan & as a letter from the
government stated in April - cycle vs pedestrian on the road or shared
pathway is not a compensable process as bikes are not registered & the onus
is on the pedestrian to gain the cyclists ID, resport to the police & take
civil action re any compensation. We also explored household insurance
indemnity insurance & most stated that cyclists using their bike external to
the house insured are not covered under the policy.

Discussing with the police (they see it as a nightmare to impliment) they
await rules or guidelines as to speed issues, penalty clarification, random
drug & alcohol testing. If they catch a cyclist speeding they also have no
form of identification & cyclists don't have to carry ID on them.

There are a host of other aspects which have not been sorted out as yet.

We also need to consider other people who have a disability who are
pedestrians

Vision

Any aspects where decreased field or acuity exist

Hearing

Any aspects that decrease auditory signal or directional
appreciation

Any issues where vestibular function is impaired

Motor

Post Stoke

Parkinson's

Knee or hip degenerative disorders

Neurological diseases

Crutches post joint or limb trauma

Use of sticks or walking frames to assist balance & mobility

People with decreased reaction times

Cognitive

Dementia

Traumatic brain injury

Asperger's

Autism

Children who tend to have tunnel vision & cannot process the world - easily
distracted

Other

Mothers with toddlers or pushing a pram

Pregnant mothers as centre of gravity is different

People who are less steady when light is suboptimal

Blood thinning medication

One report stated that of the cycling & pedestrian collisions 34% had
traumatic brain injury

Cyclists may be recreational or club in orientation, but which ever there is
lacking a code of conduct & uniformity of bike equipment & rider clothing.

The 2 hour meeting of dialogue we entered into yesterday with government &
the support we gained from GDSA demonstrated the perceived thinking through
some of the issues prior to its introduction by regulation rather than
legislation.

I believe the local government association has also stated that councils
will not be liable if a cyclists falls off on a pathway. Speaking to one
council today I gleaned that budget constrains will not allow road by road
signage as to permission or not to use specified footpaths.

We also tried to engage COTA who has a broader aged interest without
significant success necessitating the CEO of the pedestrian council of
Australia to make further representation to my letter & the initial reply.

David

Dr David Squirrell

* Blind Citizens Australia (Adelaide Branch) President
* Access & Social Inclusion Plan (SA Govt) Committee
* BCA National Policy Development Committee