[insightsa] Cyclists on footpaths

  • From: "Lui Palombi" <luip1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <insightsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 14:19:14 +1030

Hi David

Thank you for taking up this most important issue. May I provide some
input as a vision impaired person who rides a bike.

As a cyclist, there are times when the footpath is safer than the road.
This often happens where bike paths are non-existent or there are road
works which force cyclists to share restricted roadway with motorists.
However, the appropriate adjustments are made to speed and behaviour as I
consider the risks to both other users and myself within these situations.
I also notice when cycling on the road, wheelchair and pram users, gofers
and even pedestrians using the roadway at times when the footpaths are
unusable, ie roadworks or construction of homes and other works have
blocked access. Often in these situations, it's just a matter of using
common sense, courtesy and showing respect for other users.

I would like to suggest a more collaborative approach be taken with a view
to establishing a working relationship between BCA, government and consumer
groups such as Bike SA. Surely all parties can work together and develop a
set of agreed behaviours and rules that ensure the safety of all users.. As
a cyclist living in Victoria, I learnt particular rules when using shared
paths; example when approaching pedestrians from behind, I would announce
"bike passing" . Pedestrians, being alert for such warnings would simply
step to one side. We were taught to always wear bright jackets, reduce
speed and even announce to other cyclists when slowing or stopping. I do
the same here in SA when using Linear Park etc and in my eight years since
returning to SA have not struck any problems. . I am concerned with the
speed and behaviour of some cyclists which you have also correctly
identified. This is one reason why I suggest BCA SA branch consider
dialogue with all users with a view to establishing agreed common rules and
behaviours when using shared paths, including footpaths. Surely there is
room for all.

Regards

Lui