[insight_parents] Re: Autism awareness day

  • From: sangeetha john <sangeetha.s.john75@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: insight_parents <insight_parents@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 12:15:31 +0530

thanks Rajasree for your kind words and more thanks for initiating a
discussion on these therapies for the sake of parents.

Apr 2 was the opening of the chelation therapy unit in Kochi. Dr.Neena is a
FAAP and started the Dan protocol in Kochi sometime in 2008. I opted out
of the treatment by end of 2010 as i felt more comfortable with sherin
following the NIMHANS method. As you know each child is different . so
parents need to be well informed before choosing any therapy or treatment
for their kids. extensive discussions among parents and other experts is
necessary in this context.

regards
sangeetha

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Rajasree S <rajasree@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Sangeetha,

Congrats on the biggest achievement for any mother of an autistic child. I
am truly inspired by you… Sherin’s words are beautiful…..God Bless her…

On cure for autism and other matters though I would slightly disagree
with you. Since Autism is not a disease but a condition recovery would be
a better word than cure.

My logic is that anything which does not hurt and has no side effects may
be tried so that quality of life may improve. For eg if we so called neuro
typical individuals have a headache our performance gets reduced similarly
if an autistic has inflammed gut(which is common amongst autistic kids) he
is bound to show behavior. I believe what we call behavior is to do with
some physiological/sensory problem that they are having/experienced which
is manifested as a “behavior”.

I have seen some good changes in other kids and my own daughter with HBOT,
MB 12 supplementation, specific supplementation(as per DAN protocol) and
also stem cell (for some kids). Results vary from person to person.

DAN (Defeat Autism Now by Autism Research Institute) is a protocol devised
by not merely researchers but researchers who are also successful parents
to special kids. Empirical data on this protocol is still emerging.

Some of these things help improve the quality of life for older children
and for younger kids some things help them recover(come out of the
spectrum. I have personally witnessed that, though not lucky enough to see
my daughter recover completely but improve tremendously). Biomedical
intervention used with judgment has definitely helped many kids. Even
Ayurveda I have seen with younger kids has helped them come out of the
spectrum with minimal or no residual characteristics of Autism.

Chelation I do agree is different. I have also heard a lot of bad news.
But heavy supplementation and then subsequent chelation (under able
guidance ) has shown effects in some kids. My daughter seems to have a
heavy metal disposition as her porphyries tests have proved positive(these
tests detect the level of some proteins in the urine as heavy metals itself
may not be present in urine as these kids may not be able to excrete the
same even if it is present in the body) which indicate the presence of
heavy metals in body.

Of course by exploring and meeting doctors I have never jumped into
anything so far by God’s grace. It is important for parents to use their
own judgment. This also would also might end up as information gathering
exercise.

I appreciate your concern Arun and Sangeetha. I am most unlikely to try it.

Thanks & warm rgds,

Rajasree