[infoshare] Re: touchtour at theReuben Museum

  • From: Ellen Rubin <ellenr5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: infoshare@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 11:05:56 -0400

Dear Lucia,

I have been reading the messages from Lynne, Maria and you and have a few comments.

In school, students with disabilities are acommodated  in resourse rooms, with special ed teachers that work in a situation where sometimes students are pulled out of their classroom for special services related to the needs of their  disability, whatever it might be .

Also, in some museums, you can participate in an integrated tour where in a group of perhaps 12 to 15 with one person is blind there is no problem allowing for the extra time it takes to describe or feel an object. The Lower East Side Tenement Museum integrates people with disabilities...however they also offer specific  programs, for example,  with Sign Language interpreters for folks who are deaf or hard of hearing!

Nothing stops you from going to a museum on your own or with a friend and taking as much time as you like exploring! Many museums don't have organized tours for sighted people. They can visit as they choose and explore whatever they want on their own.

The important point is that now we have many more options to visit and learn at museums

Best,
Ellen
At 10:34 AM 7/6/2012, you wrote:

Dear  Maria, How do they handle it in the school system?  Can sme one be at the museum, helping visually impaired persons, right in the same room, with the sighted people who wish to tour the museum?  Why not work alongside sighted peers?  Just a thought, Maria. Stay well and stay I n touch. Give my best to Lynne.  Best, Lucia