[impression-x] network problem: document loaded twice

  • From: Jim Nagel <jim-imp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: impression-x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 15:32:10 +0100

This follows from a thread I started in c.s.a.misc, called
"More than one copy of file open".

Now that I have several RiscOS machines on the home network, I find I
need to be wary of having my working document open on two stations at
the same time -- I could easily get into a muddle with edits from one
copy overwriting edits done in the other copy.  It's especially
Impression documents that concern me, but I guess this generalizes.

Interesting discussion ensued in c.s.a.misc.  It seems there is a
distinction between a "file" being open (the term file "handle" would
then apply) and a document being loaded -- most document processors do
not keep a "file" open while the document is loaded.  Martin Würthner,
for instance, said Techwriter normally behaves like this but in the
case of a very large document where parts are not loaded till they are
needed, the file might remain open.

Impression, like Fireworkz and other apps (surprisingly not including
Artworks), won't let you load a second copy of the same doc on the
same machine -- but unfortunately they don't notice a copy of the same
doc already loaded elsewhere on the network.

So I began wondering about the possibility of a little standalone app
or utility that could be invoked in the !Run file of Impression (or
any document processor) so that trying to load a document would first
check this app's scrapfile (which would have to be shared by all
stations on the network) to see if it's already loaded.  If so, it
would issue a warning.  Upon loading or closing the document, its
pathname would be noted in this scrapfile, along with the ID of the
station using it.
   Obviously the prefix "ADFS:" would apply to the filepath for one
machine whereas other machines would have the prefix "ShareFS:", so
the filesystem prefix would have to be ignored.

This led me to look inside Impression's !Run file to see what's
already there.  This line caught my interest:
     Set DocumentManager$Scrap <Wimp$ScrapDir>.!Publisher
Hmm, now what's this about?  My scrap directory has no folder called
!Impression; nor is there one called Impression or Publisher.

The RMstore folder inside Impression contains a module called Docman
(Documentmanager, version 0.30, dated 1993).

I'm curious.  I wonder if Richard Keefe has any documentation to say
what this is about, and whether it's relevant to my question.  Maybe
it's a feature Computer Concepts never completed back in 1993, but
you'd have thought there'd have been a need for such a mechanism back
in the days of Impression on school networks.

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk