On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Suriya Narayanan M S wrote:
- On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:04:30AM +0530, Praveen wrote:
- > Sridhar R wrote:
- > >1. use sudo
- > >2. create a wrapper script which runs emerge or apt-get and set the
- > >uid bit on it.
- > >3. Compile from source and use the home prefix scheme
- > >3. give your users the root password ;)
- > Among these sudo is the besk option AFAIK.
- Using sudo is not an option --- The root might as well install the
- packages if needed.
- Let me restate my problem a bit more clearly (I hope). The
- administrators maintain and support several applications. Users install
- whatever software they feel would be useful to themselves and others.
- The present practice followed is compiling from sources with a prefix,
- and then writing an entry into a file. This system is really messy.
- Is there a way to manage this?
Use rpm's with the --root option?