[Ilugc] Installing applications without root
- From: mssnlayam@xxxxxxxx (Suriya Narayanan M S)
- Date: Mon Jul 19 11:41:27 2004
On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 10:04:30AM +0530, Praveen wrote:
Sridhar R wrote:
1. use sudo
2. create a wrapper script which runs emerge or apt-get and set the
uid bit on it.
3. Compile from source and use the home prefix scheme
3. give your users the root password ;)
Among these sudo is the besk option AFAIK.
Using sudo is not an option --- The root might as well install the
packages if needed.
Let me restate my problem a bit more clearly (I hope). The
administrators maintain and support several applications. Users install
whatever software they feel would be useful to themselves and others.
The present practice followed is compiling from sources with a prefix,
and then writing an entry into a file. This system is really messy.
Is there a way to manage this?
Other related posts: