[PCB_FORUM] Via Capping

  • From: "Douglas Stanley" <dstanley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:44:02 -0800

        Often, we require a secondary via capping operation to be done by the
fab
shop. This is typically due to some special discretes we use that have
via-in-pad. How do others handle the generation of the film for this type of
process?
        Ideally, we would build the via into the part, but a lot of the times
this
is just not possible. Presently, we create the film manually (in Valor). But
this method is prone to errors (such as forgetting to make them). I don't
feel comfortable asking the board shop to create them (although I imagine
that's how most people handle it).
        Short of having several via padstacks and swapping them out as you add
vias
into pads, how can we handle it on the Allegro side. I'm thinking of writing
a Skill program to do it, but before I dust off my programming hat, I
thought I'd run it by all of you...

Thanks,

Doug

Douglas G. Stanley