[PCB_FORUM] Skill file for placeing pins for a large BGA

  • From: "jwages" <jwages@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 17:01:57 -0400

Hey folks,
Using Allegro version 15.5.1
I'm hoping that someone knows of a skill file available that can place pins
for a very complicated ceramic/BGA configuration (5000 plus pins).
The pins have varied numbers, including the typical A1 through AZ##, and E1
through EZ##. What I'm working with here is two BGA's within the same
package. Silicone on silicone. The pin positioning is also varied. The outer
BGA pin array is a standard pattern, but the inner BGA pins are not.
I have an XL spread sheet that lists all of the pin numbers and their X & Y
coordinates.
Is there a skill file that anyone knows of that can insert the pin number
and place the pins, sourcing an XL spreadsheet or even a simple text file,
in their required locations?
Keep in mind the spreadsheet is very easily manipulated to accommodate the
skill file. Meaning, I can put all of the pin numbers & coordinate
information in one cell, or divide between 3 or more cells.
Without some kind of automated method, I fear for the accuracy of the
symbol. (not to mention the mind-numbing process of verification)
Thank you in advance. Any input would be appreciated.

Jim S. Wages
SR PCB Layout Designer
H) 919-237-3915 C) 919-484-2963