[PCB_FORUM] Re: ?????: Re: DEFAULT BRD OR DRA

  • From: Ed Caldwell <Ed.Caldwell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 07:37:19 -0500

I am not a network guru and it is rare I can add 2 cents to this forum but
happily I believe I can somewhat help clarify the one aspect Michael
mentions regarding the "network places" issue because this problem also
exists for every other tool...

Mapping to the network \\server (or \\connection alias) can change over
time and there are likely other networking variables that I am not aware
of that make this a bad practice. However, mapping a drive letter to a
"work" directory (or folder) on a network server keeps your design
database intact even if the server name changes or your folder (directory)
is moved to different server.  (Of course if the server is moved or
changed you will need to remap the drive letter to the new path.)

Mapping a drive letter to an application and project folder instead of the
entire network path keeps the EDA projects isolated from any networking
functions or changes outside of the Tx's and Rx's of the application and
design data path(s).

just as an example: On a single server, I have projects mapped to a folder
named "project" with the letter P: and the library mapped to another
folder named "library" with the letter L:  (my applications all run from
my local drive C:)  It doesn't matter what letter is used except... make
sure you are consistent and check with IT to make sure they are not using
or planning to assign a specific drive letter for your machine (such as
user ID, etc.)  With my projects and libraries mapped to different drive
letters, they can be moved separately to different network servers and the
path for the design data remains intact by the drive letter.

Hope this helps!
Ed

Ed Caldwell
PCB Designer
USA 678-473-8707
mailto:ed.caldwell@xxxxxxxxxx
EDS http://www.eds-pcb.com

"Baumstark Michael-EMB043" <M.Baumstark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: icu-pcb-forum-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
01/30/2007 04:22 PM
Please respond to
icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[PCB_FORUM] Re: ?????: Re: DEFAULT BRD OR DRA

I would like to hear a good answer to that one myself.  But here is what I
think I know. I believe the default conditions of an un-named.brd are hard
coded into the Allegro executable.  (Launched from a File--> New command
in Allegro or a blank input board file for a packaging operation from
schematic or Project Manager.

We get around this limitation by storing a collection of "template board
files"  in a defined location and performing a file "Save as".  Since the
Technology data is embedded in the .brd database along with any
pre-existing assignment table matrixes including the physical constraint
sets that link to them, as well as available for selection: we have all
that we need.

I suppose if you could change the menu opcodes of the File New command you
could more directly get what you want. But we are hesitant to alter the
"out of the Box" commands to customize in this way. It is not a big deal
to do a File open command to get a starting template board from a reserved
location.

One note of caution. If you are ever tempted to create a "My Network
Places" link such that you have a shortcut to a predefined location, do
not get into the habit of doing it to have a startup location for your
.cpm file. (Although it may work just fine for a starting location to
retrieve a template.brd file)
Reason:  We have noted problems with packaging schematics and also using
the Netlist comparison utility within Allegro.

There is something is does not like about the format of
\\server\sub_category\refined_path_folder   versus the explicit file
mapping of  L:\sub_category\refined_path_folder.
(Cadence also advertises that they do not fully support this method of
address mapping, so you have been fully disclaimer(ed), should you
"creatively" want to go down that path.)
There is a proper name the the former addressing scheme, which is the way
"My_Network_ Places" uses,  although that word eludes me at the moment.
But you should get the idea.

By the way that is a very good question to be answered prior to the
upcoming SPB 16.0 tools release at mid-year.

I hope this supports your question.

Sincerely yours,
Michael Baumstark
Sr. Electrical Engineer / PCB Design, CID+
Motorola - Advanced Product Technology Center
8000 West Sunrise Blvd.  Mail Stop: 8E8
Plantation, FL USA 33322-9947

Intra: http://rprc.mot.com  ; http://pcbadvisor.mot.com
web: http://www.motorola.com

Motorola Internal Use                      [      ]
Motorola Confidential Proprietary    [      ]