[PCB_FORUM] Re: ?????: Re: DEFAULT BRD OR DRA

  • From: "Baumstark Michael-EMB043" <M.Baumstark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:19:28 -0500

I would like to hear a good answer to that one myself.  But here is what
I think I know. I believe the default conditions of an un-named.brd are
hard coded into the Allegro executable.  (Launched from a File--> New
command in Allegro or a blank input board file for a packaging operation
from schematic or Project Manager.

We get around this limitation by storing a collection of "template board
files"  in a defined location and performing a file "Save as".  Since
the Technology data is embedded in the .brd database along with any
pre-existing assignment table matrixes including the physical constraint
sets that link to them, as well as available for selection: we have all
that we need.

I suppose if you could change the menu opcodes of the File New command
you could more directly get what you want. But we are hesitant to alter
the "out of the Box" commands to customize in this way. It is not a big
deal  to do a File open command to get a starting template board from a
reserved location.

One note of caution. If you are ever tempted to create a "My Network
Places" link such that you have a shortcut to a predefined location, do
not get into the habit of doing it to have a startup location for your
.cpm file. (Although it may work just fine for a starting location to
retrieve a template.brd file)
Reason:  We have noted problems with packaging schematics and also using
the Netlist comparison utility within Allegro.

There is something is does not like about the format of
\\server\sub_category\refined_path_folder   versus the explicit file
mapping of  L:\sub_category\refined_path_folder.
(Cadence also advertises that they do not fully support this method of
address mapping, so you have been fully disclaimer(ed), should you
"creatively" want to go down that path.)
There is a proper name the the former addressing scheme, which is the
way "My_Network_ Places" uses,  although that word eludes me at the
moment. But you should get the idea.

By the way that is a very good question to be answered prior to the
upcoming SPB 16.0 tools release at mid-year.

I hope this supports your question.

Sincerely yours,

Michael Baumstark

Sr. Electrical Engineer / PCB Design, CID+
Motorola - Advanced Product Technology Center
8000 West Sunrise Blvd.  Mail Stop: 8E8
Plantation, FL USA 33322-9947

Intra: http://rprc.mot.com <http://rprc.mot.com/>   ;
http://pcbadvisor.mot.com <http://pcbadvisor.mot.com/>
web: http://www.motorola.com <http://www.motorola.com/>
Motorola Internal Use                      [      ]
Motorola Confidential Proprietary    [      ]