[PCB_FORUM] Re: ODB++

  • From: "richard moffat" <richard.moffat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 10:30:11 +1200

Hi

We have looked a couple of times at ODB++, but are still staying with 274X for
now.

The issue I currently have is not with ODB++, but with 'ODB++ Inside'.  It
creates extra layers that you may not necessarily want in your outputs.  If I
wanted to include them, I would liked to have specified them.

For example, it takes what it assumes is the Top Silk film and renames it 'sst'
.  Anything else it thinks maybe silk films it calls 'sst+1', sst+2', etc,
which include subclasses nothing to do with silk.  (Someone feel free to
correct me here if I'm wrong, but that's what I've always found.)  In other
words, lack of control does not impress me.

We have had no problem with 274X interpretation from our fab vendors, which
include the USA, Australia, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and China.  (Caveat -
we still send a IPC netlist that picks up any human or Allegro error.  ODB++
sends a netlist as well.)  The Valor Universal View is quite good for assembly,
but nothing we can't do with the Cadence free viewer and some simple macros.

However, try ODB++.  For you it may well be better, as a lot of people have
found.  Send both formats for a while and ask for feedback.

Regards,
Richard

>>> msalberg@xxxxxxxxxxxx 17/05/2006 5:14 a.m. >>>

Hello all,
I have Allegro V. 15.1 and just downloaded ODB++ inside from Valor.
Never used it before. Is it worth using. I know quite a few people use
it these days.
What advantages does it give over RS-274X?
Just starting to look around in the Valor Universal Free Viewer.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

notify Allied Telesis Labs Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesis Labs.