[PCB_FORUM] Re: ODB++

  • From: <george.h.patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 11:51:24 -0700

One benefit is that ODB++ is designed to be an interchange format not
only for manufacturers, but for assemblers as well.  It captures
placement as well as etch features.  This means you are shipping the
same file to your board fab as you are shipping to your assembler, there
is less time needed to generate the file than is needed to generate all
the separate artwork, drill, placement, and netlist files needed
otherwise.

Another benefit is that the fab and assembly vendors (or in-house
equivalents) save some front-end time as they have the capability (if
they chose to use it) to start processing off the ODB++ database
immediately rather than being forced to import all the files into the
CAM tool and register them to each other.  Some vendors will give a
customer a financial discount for providing an ODB++ rather than
separate files.  It can also save time and reduce overhead, and can get
boards back faster.

However, we have found a problem with the ODB inside package.  We use
negative planes because we don't want the extra clearances generated for
positive ones, and you MUST use wysiwyg mode in Allegro or the aperture
assignment is based on a separate thermal_models file.  For many this is
not an issue as the file is autogenerated for simple thermals, but we
use some very complex thermal/antipad shapes at high frequencies and
Valor has no way to define them inside their thermal_models.  When we
use wysiwyg mode, the complex thermals will not generate properly when
exporting to ODB++.

This is a MAJOR issue with our management, as we could be saving money
and turn time if ODB++ inside worked, but when we sent the issue to
Cadence it was assigned a minor priority and is currently on backlog
status, meaning Cadence is not going to do anything about it (PCR 873522
if anyone is interested)  As far as we can see, Cadence does NOT fully
support ODB++, nor does it ever plan on fully supporting it. You need to
use caution if you are using anything but basic thermal/antipad shapes.

--
George Patrick
Tektronix, Inc.

"Off-Grid and Proud of it!"