[PCB_FORUM] Re: Negative n Positive Shape

  • From: "Douglas Stanley" <dstanley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 07:56:03 -0700

Negative shapes were used when file size was a concern. Some of us old timers
remember the days when you tried to fit your entire job onto one floppy disc.
Upon Gerber output, positive planes were drawn with thousands of lines, whereas
negative planes were mostly flashes where the antipads were.

These days where file size isn't an problem and the fact that the "new" formats
like 274X and ODB++ support actual shape areas (as opposed to vectorized fills)
has allowed us here to go to 100% positive planes. We like the WYSIWYG display
and have found we have less problems using positive planes. In addition, so few
of our designs have actual dedicated solid planes anymore, but are instead
mixed layers with shapes and routing. You really need to make those types of
layers positive.

Douglas G. Stanley
PC Board Designer, Principal
Broadcom Corporation<http://www.broadcom.com/> - Irvine, CA