[PCB_FORUM] Re: Changing cross section sequence

  • From: "J Wages" <jwages@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <icu-pcb-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 00:55:58 -0400

Good timing on this topic. I was just required to change a 2 layer board
to a 4 layer board and move the bottom layer etch to layer two. What
made it interesting is that now I was required to incorporate blind
laser drilled vias from lyr 1 to 2 and move the previous bottom layer
traces to the internal layer. It was a bit of a mind bender, but
interesting. Since the etch on the previous bottom layer was to be moved
to layer 2, I could not just rename the cross section layer. I ended up
just inserting two etch layers and two FR-4 layers between the top and
bottom layer and then just EDIT > CHANGE the trace etch from bottom to
LYR-2. That was pretty easy, but it just took a bit to manage all of the
previous vias and padstacks to conform to the 1 to 2, 4 to 3, and
thru-hole vias.... and just for laughs, the whole design was performed
using Micron units. For a guy that's been using Mils all his life...
*chuckle* T'was fun.

Jim S. Wages / SR. PCB Layout Designer:
Cary, NC - (919) 466-1596