Re: [icon-users] Merge documents

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 22:32:47 +0200

In message <7699e8374f.Brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Brian Howlett <brian.groups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have created two documents in EasiWriter (8.64) which I wish to
> merge together in order to save as a 2 page PDF.

> The document which is intended to be page 1 was created with a
> variation of the 2ColPad Stationery pad, and the second page was
> created with StdPaper.

> When I drag the second document in at the end of the first one, it
> lays it out in 2 columns, which I can't see a way to remove. If I drag
> the 2 column document in at the start of the StdPaper document, the
> columns are lost.

This happens because in your particular case the number of columns is
defined at document level, but there is no need to. You can define
them at chapter or even section level. You can even have sections with
different numbers of columns on the same page if you want.

> I hope I'm missing something obvious, but I can't see anything in the
> documentation which allows me to combine two documents like this.

I do not suppose the documentation says anything about combining
documents. In general, this is easy, you just copy and paste things
across that you want. Obviously, if the global settings of both
documents conflict you can only have the one or the other defined
globally, but this is no problem because you can always override it in
a more local context.

In your case, it is easiest to start from the document with a single
column. Drag in the second document. It will appear without columns
because the global document setting is just one column. Then, select
the text of the second document and turn it into a section or chapter,
adapt the style to what you want (which may involve removing the
heading if you do not want one) and change its number of columns.

Martin