Re: [icon-users] Enchancement request for URL links in TW

  • From: J Peachey <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ICON-USERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 20:48:16 +0100

In message <08081306000042_3E40E48A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "gwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> It would be very helpful if Techwriter could allow you to select (from a
> user-defined menu) text that is to be prepended (or appended) to the
> document text that is being made into a URL link.  I have a document
> with a reference list to which I am adding ADS (Astrophysical Data System)
> bibcodes, to allow readers of the PDF version to go from the reference
> list to the ADS entry and thence to the referenced paper.

> As an example, the original form of a reference is:

> Henden, A. A., and Honeycutt, R. K., 1997,  Secondary Photometric Standards
> for Northern Cataclysmic Variables and Related Objects , Publ. Astron. Soc.
> Pac. 109, 441 460.

> Adding the ADS bibcode gives me:

> Henden, A. A., and Honeycutt, R. K., 1997,  Secondary Photometric Standards
> for Northern Cataclysmic Variables and Related Objects , Publ. Astron. Soc.
> Pac. 109, 441 460.  [1997PASP..109..441H]

> Constructing the bibcode from the data originally is generally trivial.
> But in order for the link to function it has to have

> http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/bib_query?bibcode=

> prepended to the bibcode.  Including this text in the body of the
> references for each and every bibcode isn't really an option as it would make
> the page look cluttered.

> Currently, I am adding the text manually each time I make the bibcode into
> a URL link.  My problem is that there are hundreds of references and doing
> it manually for all of them will take a very long time.

> Just a suggestion to add to the list of desirable enhancements to TW.

If you want to add the url bit every time why not just enter something
like ~ bib code to the text then do a search and replace?

The other option might be to do it as a macro, which would be just one
keypress, although I haven't really used the macro facility.

The third alternative, if those ideas don't help is to create a new
button in WIBLi, which should be fairly straight forward.

Hope these ideas help.
John