[icon-users] Enchancement request for URL links in TW

  • From: "gwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ICON-USERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 06:00:00 -0400 (EDT)

It would be very helpful if Techwriter could allow you to select (from a
user-defined menu) text that is to be prepended (or appended) to the
document text that is being made into a URL link.  I have a document
with a reference list to which I am adding ADS (Astrophysical Data System)
bibcodes, to allow readers of the PDF version to go from the reference
list to the ADS entry and thence to the referenced paper.

As an example, the original form of a reference is:

Henden, A. A., and Honeycutt, R. K., 1997,  Secondary Photometric Standards
for Northern Cataclysmic Variables and Related Objects , Publ. Astron. Soc.
Pac. 109, 441 460.

Adding the ADS bibcode gives me:

Henden, A. A., and Honeycutt, R. K., 1997,  Secondary Photometric Standards
for Northern Cataclysmic Variables and Related Objects , Publ. Astron. Soc.
Pac. 109, 441 460.  [1997PASP..109..441H]

Constructing the bibcode from the data originally is generally trivial.
But in order for the link to function it has to have

http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/bib_query?bibcode=

prepended to the bibcode.  Including this text in the body of the
references for each and every bibcode isn't really an option as it would make
the page look cluttered.

Currently, I am adding the text manually each time I make the bibcode into
a URL link.  My problem is that there are hundreds of references and doing
it manually for all of them will take a very long time.

Just a suggestion to add to the list of desirable enhancements to TW.

   Gareth