Re: [icon-users] EasiWriter bug?

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 21:04:21 +0200

In message <4FA2CCF4.1050104@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Rodney Blackall <rblackall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In an EasiWriter document find and replace operation I ask for 'Heroes'
> to be replaced with Hereos (without quotes). When I Select Find I am
> told "Hereos" cannot be found. That is EW has changed ' into ".

> Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Neither. You are just misinterpreting what EW tells you.

If you search for your first name and it cannot be found in the
document, then EasiWriter displays:
  'Rodney' not found.
That means it encloses the string you searched for in single quotes
for clarity.

If you search for your first name in single quotes, then EasiWriter
displays:
  ''Rodney'' not found.

In most fonts, a double single quote looks close to a double quote.

So, the above just means that 'Heroes' (with single quotes) cannot be
found in the document.

If you think that it should be found, then check what kind of quotes
you are using. An unsexed single quote (') is different from opening
or closing sexed quotes.

This can be a bit confusing because if you have the "Smart quotes"
option enabled in "Editin choices" (which is the default), then both
in the main document and in the Find dialogue, EasiWriter does some
automatic quote substitutions: An unsexed quote entered via the
keyboard is automatically replaced by a closing sexed quote. This is
done because the closing sexed single quote is the right thing to use
for a possessive apostrophe, which is the most common use of any
single quote. So, at least those come out correctly and can be
searched for easily without any further effort.

If you do want to enter an unsexed single quote either in the document
or in the Find dialogue, you need to press the apostrophe key (')
three times in quick succession. The first keypress inserts a closing
sexed quote. The second keypress changes it to a closing sexed double
quote. The third keypress changes it to an unsexed single quote.

You can enter an opening sexed single quote by pressing the backtick
(`) key. Pressing it twice inserts an opening sexed double quote.

So, presuming you have used proper typographic quotes to type 'Heroes'
in the text, then you need to enter `Heroes' in the Find dialogue to
search for it. If you have used unsexed single quotes, then you need
to enter '''Heroes''' in the Find dialogue (which is displayed as
'Heroes' in the dialogue).

Martin