[icon-users] Page breaks in tables

  • From: John Harrison <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Icon users <icon-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 21:44:18 +0000 (GMT)

I can't remember whether this has been covered before.  If it has, then my
apologies.

When a table spans more than one page, it is possible that the last row
of a page won't quite fit, splitting the row between two pages.  When this
happens, EW gets confused, and several things can happen.

- The text in the cell might be split between the pages.

- The bottom part might disappear.

- The text might flow down through the page margin of the upper page.

I've not discovered any way of predicting which will happen.

Even when the text is visible, it often becomes unselectable.  Sometimes
you can click in the cell above and use the arrow keys to get where you
want, but not always.  I just did an experiment with a table where text in
some cells overflows, and appears to flow between pages normally.  I found
that cells with text spanning both pages are selectable, but cells whose
text doesn't quite reach the end of the upper page are not selectable.

The fudge to avoid these problems is to add line breaks to pad out a cell
above the affected row, so it goes over onto the new page.  But it would be
nice to have a 'keep cells together' option, like there is for whole
tables.

John

--
John Harrison -  http://www.jaharrison.me.uk
Message sent from a British built Iyonix PC running RISC-OS 5