[icon-discuss] Re: Improving NLS on Icon and Braille Plus

  • From: "Steve Dresser" <s.dresser@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thcumings@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ljgehres@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Icon and Braille Plus Discussion List'" <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 18:47:36 -0400

Tim,

I have a feeling that it would have cost a lot more than $20 to get the kind of quality improvement we want. Would you have been willing to pay an extra $200, or maybe even $500?

Steve

----- Original Message ----- From: "tim cumings" <thcumings@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <ljgehres@xxxxxxxxxxx>; "'Icon and Braille Plus Discussion List'" <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 15:17
Subject: [icon-discuss] Re: Improving NLS on Icon and Braille Plus

Mark, although I appreciate your honesty regarding the nls implementation, I
feel this was shortsighted
on Levelstar's and Aph's part. I would have been willing to pay an extra $20 up
front if I had known that this
would allow the full and best implementation of the nls system, and I'm sure
other bp and icon owners would
have paid that cost as well. The icon and bp are still the only notetakers at
this point that play the nls
digital talking books, and so at least for now, there are only three devices
that play these books:

On a related issue, once nls goes public with its updated web site and ends the
pilot
program, are their plans to improve the icon interface with the nls web site,
similar to the icon's
interface with bookshare? The icon and bp are the only two devices at this
point that can directly
download nls books, both brf and audio. I'd think this would be a very good
marketing point for
levelstar and aph.On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:11:59 -0600, Marc Mulcahy wrote:

OK, here's the scoop.  There are two issues here.  First is that NLS chose
an audio codec for which there are not many inexpensive and/or efficient
implementations.  The least expensive implementation we've found costs over
$20,000, and that's lots of Icon and Braille+ sales.  As a result, we use a
freely available, and not extremely efficient, reference implementation.

In our latest private betas, we've improved the efficiency of the decoder
such that it seems you can speed NLS playback up to 220% without any
break-up, so you should see this improvement in a release soon.

The second issue is that some don't like the sound of the timescale
modification which we use to speed up the audio. We have no plans to change
TSM at the moment.

Marc