[icon-discuss] Re: Android

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <brandonboy13@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Icon Discuss'" <icon-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 04:07:36 -0400

Hello all,

As Guido points out, Android is an operating system and a few programming
languages could be used. However the primary language used to do almost
everything is Java. If you know Java or are willing to learn it, you will be
perfectly at home  in Android. The apps that developers create are all in
Java. You will, however, need to use the API's designed for the Android
operating system. Not only there are good books but there is extensive
documentation available that you can use to get started. DO a basic search
for Android on Google and you'll get a wealth of resources. You can use your
own machine to write code. There is an Android Software Development Kit that
you can download and install. The best environment for creating code is
Eclipse. It is generally very accessible. Books will no doubt give you the
information that you need to get started with both of these environments.

I hope this information starts you off on the right foot. Good luck.

P.S. As guido said, Targetting Orion is an excellent idea. An app that has
been created for Android will have wider appeal too. Pay attention to how
the apps can be made accessible.

Regards,

Pratik