[ibis-macro] Re: Updated Table BIRD

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 11:37:34 -0700

Walter,

Here are my comments on the latest Table BIRD draft you proposed.

Some of these may be repeat for you, but I think all of these

comments are first in public.

Please correct the English in the 1st sentence:

"...this parameter contains of one or more than one row of data..."

Regarding: "although Type is useful only for Reserved_Parameters."

I am not sure I understand the reason for this.  In addition,

are we restricting a Table to have one type only, or can a

table consist of multiple types?  For example, what if I have

a table of four (meaningful) columns, where each column is a

different type:  Integer, String, Boolean, Float?  What is the

type of this table?  Or are we going to need multiple (Type xxx)

leaves in a Table parameter?  That would violate the rule we

just put into one of our recent BIRDs.

The 3rd paragraph mentions what (Usage xxx) Table can be for

Model_Specific parameters.  We should have a corresponding

sentence in the 2nd paragraph for Reserved_Parameters.

In the 3rd paragraph you go into great extent to explain the

issues with Model_Specific (Usage Info) Tables.  Based on the

following sentence, I wonder why allow (Usage Info) at all?

"If Info, the simulator has no knowledge of the content of the table,
and at best it can only display the content of the table to the user.
..."

The simulator will only be able to do the same as if it was

(Usage Out) or (Usage InOut), then why have (Usage Info)?

This, by the way, is a general concern of mine regarding any

Model_Specific parameter of (Usage Info).

Regarding the sentence under the 1st Model_Specific example:

"The simulator ignores the (Type ...) for all Model_Specific Table
parameters."

if this is a general rule, I would put it in the 3rd paragraph

where the rules for the Model_Specific Tables are described.

But I would also like to understand why (Type ...) is ignored,

and if it ignored for all Tables, why should be bother having it?

This was probably based on my mistake in the draft I distributed

after last Tuesday's meeting, but the 1st Model_Spcific example

should enclose the strings in double quotes, like this:

        ( "myRow"   -0.169324  1.40308   0.33024 )

        ( "yourRow" -0.738358 -0.293473 -0.06912 )

and consequently the parameter string sent to the DLL should

have this:

(my_root ...  (fwd ( "myRow"   -0.169324  1.40308   0.33024 )

                     ( "yourRow" -0.738358 -0.293473 -0.06912 )

                )

although I can't remember now how we treat the rule about

no quotes allowed within strings, since the parameter sent

to the DLL is a string, did we say that we can't have any

double quotes in it?

These are my comments for now.