[ibis-macro] Some final questions on BIRD 123.

  • From: David Banas <DBanas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Walter Katz' <wkatz@xxxxxxxxxx>, 'James Zhou' <james.zhou@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2011 14:27:32 -0800

Hi Walter,

I think I'm just about there. Just a couple of questions:

1.       Referring to this excerpt from the most recent version of the BIRD
(123.3_Draft1):

Note:
The EDA Tool/Simulator shall use the values of these Jitter and Noise
parameters directly if they are Usage Info. If they are Usage Out, then the EDA
Tool/Simulator shall use their values generated by AMI_Init. The model's
AMI_GetWave function may return different values for these parameters than the
values returned by AMI_Init; the EDA Tool/Simulator may report the values of
such parameters to the user, but the EDA Tool/Simulator may not change any
inputs to AMI models or change other result of the simulation based on the
values returned for the parameters in this BIRD by AMI_GetWave.

a.       Why is there a necessary difference in EDA tool behavior, depending
upon whether the parameters are of type Info or Out?

b.      If Init and GetWave can return different values for these parameters,
then why do we need 2 sets (i.e. - Rx_Sj and Rx_CDR_Sj)? It seems like we ought
to be able to have just one parameter, Rx_Sj, and let Init return one value for
it, while GetWave returns another, depending upon how sophisticated its CDR
modeling is.

c.       Referring to the last phrase, above, "or change other result of the
simulation based on the values returned for the parameters in this BIRD by
AMI_GetWave.": broadly interpreted, couldn't this phrase preclude an EDA tool
from applying the post-processing necessary for accurate BER estimation? What
is the purpose of this phrase?

Thanks,
-db

Confidentiality Notice.
This message may contain information that is confidential or otherwise
protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this message, or any attachments, is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail,
and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.