[ibis-macro] Parameter strings and string parameters

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 17:32:05 +0000

Hello everyone,

In connection with the discussions on BIRD 137 I would
like to find out what the rules are in the spec about
the parameter strings and string parameters, and I have
a hard time to find the answer in the spec or the BIRDs
we have written so far.

A parameter string is the string that gets passed into
the DLL by the EDA tool trough the AMI_parameters_in
argument or passed back to the EDA tool by the DLL
through the AMI_parameters_out argument.  Since this
is a string, is it surrounded by double quotes, or not?
In other words, does the DLL get this:

(Mentor_AMI_Tx (Tx_strength 1)(DscrtFilter (tp-1 0.0)(tp0 1.0)(tp1 0.0)(tp2
0.0)))

or this:

"(Mentor_AMI_Tx (Tx_strength 1)(DscrtFilter (tp-1 0.0)(tp0 1.0)(tp1 0.0)(tp2
0.0)))"

(I think the correct answer is the first one or NO quotes,
but I can't find the definition for that right now, and I
would like someone to help me to find it).

Any parameter that is in the above parameter string is
enclosed by parentheses and a value, like this:

(ParamName Value)

If this parameter is declared as a string parameter, is
the associated value surrounded by double quotes:

(StringParName "String Value")

or is it passed to the DLL like this:

(StringParName String Value)

note the space in the string value to make this example a
little more interesting...

I think the answer in this case is YES, double quotes are
included, because in the case of a list we would not know
the boundaries of the different strings in the list, but
again, I can't find the definition for that in the existing
spec or any BIRDs we have written so far.

I would appreciate if anyone could help me to find references
to these topics in the spec or BIRDs, because if there are
no definitions, we should probably address these questions
formally.