[ibis-macro] Minutes from the 29 may 2007 ibis-atm meeting

  • From: "Mike LaBonte \(milabont\)" <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:37:35 -0400

Minutes from the 29 may 2007 ibis-atm meeting are attached. ARs:

AR: Mike drop Outlook event for these meetings
AR: Todd update summit presentation based on feedback

Meeting date: 29 May 2007

Members (asterisk for those attending):
* Ambrish Varma, Cadence Design Systems
* Arpad Muranyi, Intel Corp.
  Barry Katz, SiSoft
* Bob Ross, Teraspeed Consulting Group
  Doug White, Cisco Systems
  Essaid Bensoudane, ST Microelectronics
  Ganesh Narayanaswamy, ST Micro
* Hemant Shah, Cadence Design Systems
* Ian Dodd
* Joe Abler, IBM
* John Angulo, Mentor Graphics
  John Shields, Mentor Graphics
  Ken Willis, Cadence Design Systems
* Kumar, Cadence Design Systems
  Lance Wang, Cadence Design Systems
  Luis Boluna, Cisco
* Michael Mirmak, Intel Corp.
* Mike LaBonte, Cisco Systems
* Mike Steinberger, SiSoft
  Patrick O'Halloran, Tiburon Design Automation
  Paul Fernando, NCSU
* Radek Biernacki, Agilent (EESof)
* Randy Wolff, Micron Technology
  Ray Comeau, Cadence Design Systems
* Richard Ward, Texas Instruments
  Sanjeev Gupta, Agilent
  Shangli Wu, Cadence
  Stephen Scearce, Cisco Systems
  Syed Huq, Cisco Systems
  Syed Sadeghi, ST Micro
* Todd Westerhoff, SiSoft
  Vikas Gupta, Xilinx
  Vuk Borich, Agilent
  Walter Katz, SiSoft

No one declared a patent.

-----
Opens:

- Listwide Outlook calendar event:
  - Mike LaBonte "owns" a recurring Outlook event that was sent to the list
  - Call info is out of synch with Arpad's weekly invitations
  - We decided to drop the Outlook event
  - Individuals can create their own calendar entries

AR: Mike drop Outlook event for these meetings

- Arpad: Review the new macro library files.
  - TBD

- Arpad: Write parameter passing syntax proposal for a possible BIRD
  - TBD

- EDA vendors clarify "electrically isolated" in BIRD
  - TBD

- Arpad and Michael get specific data on the non-linear behavior problem
  - Just got a slide set
  - Still need to determine what can be shared

- Todd will send his presentation
  - Done

Review of Todd's slides for DAC IBIS summit
- Slides 3 & 4:
  - Seemingly inconsistent use of "Characterization" and "Analysis"
- Slide 8:
  - Doesn't clarify that output buffer can be non-linear while channel and
    RX are LTI
  - Same point as slide 5: where is the boundary between LTI and NLTI?
    - The perception is that everything in the green box is "linear"
  - What are the sources of non-linearity?
    - Mike S: DFE is inherently non-linear, involves quantization.
- Slide 6:
  - Change title to "Serial Link Modeling Assumptions"
- Slide 1:
  - Fix the date
  - Add presenter name
  - IBIS-ATM group should be listed as producer
  - Company logos will be on one "contributors" page
- Kumar: We should not assume that what is passed to GetWave() is LTI
- Slide 18:
  - Ambrish asked if Waiting to develop sample models may slow us down.
    - Should there be a time limit?
  - Michael M suggested that the sample doesn't have to be complete or
    work perfectly.
  - Todd was concerned that without a concrete example, discussion at
    the IBIS forum will take us back to square one.
    - Only a simple model is needed.
    - We decided to target Sep 2007 for prototype readiness
    - Prototype and open forum discussion might happen in parallel
  - We set a June 2007 target for BIRD completion

AR: Todd update summit presentation based on feedback

Discussion of proposed BIRD:
- Michael M commented on BIRD text formatting:
  - IBIS syntax should be formatted like
  - Might be section 6c, 6e, or 10
- Arpad: should we show units for some parameters?
  - Ian would prefer to handle units with an optional keyword
  - Length is an issue too.
  - IBIS has been based on SI
  - We need to either follow IBIS conventions or say what we are doing.
  - This will be addressed in the EDA meeting the Monday after the summit
- Arpad: confusing between pulse response and impulse response
  - BIRD calls for impulse response only

Next meeting: 12 June 2007 12:00pm PT