[ibis-macro] Minutes from 15 Nov 2005 ibis-macro meeting

  • From: "Mike LaBonte (milabont)" <milabont@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:00:48 -0500

Minutes from 15 Nov 2005 ibis-macro meeting attached. ARs:

AR: Arpad to change IBIS buffer implementation to have two input control
thresholds
(carried over from previous meeting; I don't recall any discussion)

AR: Everyone - target semiconductor companies for the macro library and
key contacts
AR: Arpad and Ian update BIRD after next IBIS meeting
AR: Todd contact Xilinx RocketIO team
AR: Barry contact Randy Wolff at Micron

Mike
meeting date: 15 nov 2005
attending: Arpad Muranyi, Todd Westerhoff, Bob Ross, Ken Willis, Ian Dodd
           Barry Katz

AR: Mike fix EQ amp rcvr template
Done, added declaration for a node.

AR: Ian will draft a BIRD for analog-only AMS support in IBIS
Posted. Will be discussed this Friday.

AR: Mike add extrapolation warning to module documentation
Added to modules documented so far.
More work to do on documentation.
PERL script ready.

AR: Arpad to change IBIS buffer implementation to have two input control
thresholds
???

AR: Everyone - target semiconductor companies for the macro library and key
contacts
- Barry talked to 1 company

-------------

BIRD
- Doesn't do anything, what is the intent?
  - New language name to make simulator interpret A/D and D/A requirements
    correctly.
- Does IBIS spec allow parameters to be passed?
  - Berkeley SPICE doesn't
- BIRD needs to be enhanced
- Need some feedback from IBIS meeting this Friday

AR: Arpad and Ian update BIRD after next IBIS meeting

Array parameter passing problem
- Arpad contacted Verilog-A compiler developer to discuss the problem.
  - They fixed it.
  - Same compiler used by HSPICE
  - Trying to get Synopsys to incorporate changes into HSPICE
- Array "Length" parameter has to be passed in
- Seeing light at the end of the tunnel (when, not if)
- Getting people to test, we may have to tell them which tools to use

Company Contacts
- Barry has had contact
  - This contact may be able to engage middle of next year
- Micron, Xilinx, IBM, Freescale, Intel, AMD, LSI?
  - AMD: John Dowling?

How to proceed?
- Letters?
- Not much response to reflector queries
- Still some library issues
- Need to work a campaign into our conversations with vendors
- It needs to work before it goes out to many
- Get a "friendly" IC vendor trying it
  - Approach Micron?
    - Do they have a need?
    - high speed serial to parallel interfaces?
    - IBM tough nut to crack
    - Xilinx needs it, starting to ship encrypted HSPICE?

AR: Todd contact Xilinx RocketIO team

AR: Barry contact Randy Wolff at Micron

VHDL library
- Arpad running into IBIS buffer issues
- Library hopefully done for next meeting

Some library elements are not obviously useful
- Do we need all those current source modules?
- Who will ever use IBIS_CCL?
  - Ian
- 63 modules in library
- May be difficult for simulator implementors
  - Not sure if HSPICE has flux-conserving controlled inductor
  - Hard to say how these will be used

Next meeting: Tuesday 22 nov 2005