[ibis-macro] InOut/Out BIRD draft and IBIS-AMI model portability

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 12:36:50 -0700

Hello everyone,

This discussion brought out a lot of good questions and ideas,

but I am not sure if it gave answers to what triggered it, the

question on what to do with the content of the last paragraph

of the InOut/Out BIRD draft.

To summarize in a few words, the "logic problem" we are trying

to solve in the specification with this BIRD draft is that

Model_Specific parameters cannot be defined in the specification

due to their very nature of being model specific.  As a result,

an EDA tool is unable to interpret and process any of these

undefined parameters, so any expectation that Model_Specific

parameters passed to the EDA tool should participate in the

analysis in a meaningful way makes no logical sense (to me).

Why should we leave the door wide open in the specification

to allow people to write such models (knowingly, or due to

ignorance) when the outcome of the simulation with such

parameters will be questionable?

I understand that this "loophole" or "backdoor" comes handy

when there is a need for a new feature which can't be done

with the existing specification.  However, there is nothing

in the specification that says that EDA vendors or model makers

are not allowed to do things of their own outside the specification.

No one can police that, but such activities should not claim

(and should not feel the need for claiming) IBIS specification

compliance.

As an example to illustrate this situation is the usage of

S-parameters for package modeling.  We all know that currently

there is no way of using S-parameter package models in the

IBIS context, but most tools can use S-parameter blocks for

package modeling, and many IC vendors distribute S-parameter

models for their packages.  Does anyone claim that these package

models are IBIS specification compliant, just because they are

used together in a simulator with IBIS [Model]s which come from

.ibs files in which the package data is all zeroed out?  I guess

we all know the answer...

This entire discussion actually applies to (Usage Info) also

(sorry Todd).  The only difference with Info is that the

parameter comes from the .ami parameter file instead of the

model.  Other than that, the problem is the same, we are passing

undefined Model_Specific parameters to the EDA tool.  How could

the tool interpret and process such parameters without knowing

what they mean?

However, the situation with Info is becoming more complex in

light of the emerging analog model BIRDs and the usage of the

IBIS-ISS subcircuits.  If we had a set of fixed circuit parameters

for the analog IBIS-ISS subcircuit, they could all be made

Reserved Parameters as suggested in the original analog BIRD 119.

But the reason we favor the usage of IBIS-ISS subcircuits for

analog modeling is to stay away from hard coded analog model

descriptions.  In this case there is no way of telling what the

circuit parameters will be for each analog model in the future.

This would require that the analog model parameters are declared

as Model_Specific parameters.  But there is a paradox here.  We

want to pass these analog model parameters to the tool with

Model_Specific (Usage Info) parameters, yet we can't define

the meaning of these parameters and what the tool should do

with them because they are Model_Specific.

I think this could be solved by inventing a new "usage" for this

purpose.  We could call it (Usage IBIS-ISS).  If a Reserved Parameter

is (Usage IBIS-ISS) we can describe it in the specification, we

can define what the EDA tool needs to do with it, even though the

meaning of the individual parameter names under (Usage IBIS-ISS)

would not be spelled out and defined in the Reserved Parameter

section of the specification.

So having said all this, I would propose the following changes

to the InOut/Out BIRD draft.  Keep the current content pretty

much the same, but add the prohibition of (Usage Info) for

Model_Specific parameters to the text.  In addition, either

in this BIRD draft, or a new BIRD draft, I would introduce a

new usage called IBIS-ISS for the purpose of allowing undefined

IBIS-ISS subcircuit parameters to be passed to the tool from

Reserved Parameters in the .ami file.

Comments welcome.