[ibis-macro] IBIS-ATM teleconference - Agenda for 3/22/2011

  • From: "Muranyi, Arpad" <Arpad_Muranyi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "IBIS-ATM" <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:52:47 -0700

Time:  March 22, 2011  Noon  US Pacific Time
=====

Audio:
======
Voice dial-in:    (800) 637-5822
International: +1 (647) 723-3937 <--- (For Canada)
                      0114501530 <--- (For Sweden)
                      0201400572 <--- (For Sweden Toll Free)
                    069509594672 <--- (For Germany)
                     08001014542 <--- (For Germany Toll free)
Access Code:            685-0440

Web
===
Click Here to Join Live Meeting:

http://tinyurl.com/yvmesj
or:

https://www.livemeeting.com/cc/sisoft/join?id=NKQQN3&role=attend&pw=TP8j
%23-%25%7E5

Mentor Global Crossing Teleconference commands:
http://www.globalcrossing.com/customer/collaboration/cust_ready_access_t
ips.aspx

FIRST TIME USERS: To save time before the meeting, check your
system to make sure it is compatible with Microsoft Office Live
Meeting.

Agenda
======

1) Opens
2) Call for any related patent disclosures
3) Review of ARs:

Radek:  Start an email thread with comments on cross talk BIRD draft
         - not done

Arpad:  Update BIRD 120 with the additional sentence on the
        GetWave block size
        - done  (http://www.eda.org/pub/ibis/birds/bird120.1.txt)

Ambrish: Start a BIRD draft for the Table syntax
         - done

Bob:     Check BIRD 127 for type clarification possibilities
         - done

Ken:     Draft language to clarify handling of multiple channels
          (cross talk BIRD)
         - done

Ambrish: Start a BIRD on row 25 in the Task List
         - done

Bob:    Write a BIRD on correcting Table 1-3 in the spec.
        (Row 23 in the Task List).
        - in progress

Any other AR-s?

Old ARs:

Arpad:  Review the documentation (annotation) in the macro libraries.
        - deferred until a demand arises or we have nothing else to do

4)  Cross talk BIRD draft
    - need a list of issues so we can update the BIRD draft
      and get it ready for voting

5)  (Format) Table (including Row 21, 22)
    - discuss BIRD draft from Ambrish (attached)

6)  Define relationship between Type and Format (Row 25)
    - discuss BIRD draft from Ambrish (attached)

7)  Model_Specific parameters Usage Out/InOut
    - Since we do not know the meaning of these, what is
      the EDA tool expected to do with them?
    - Type Tap has a unique meaning, we could allow this,
      but something should be mentioned in the spec on what
      the tool is expected to do (plot, log file, etc).
    - how about the rest of the Types?  Does it make sense
      to allow them?

8a) BIRD 123, jitter parameters
    - how do we deal with Usage Out?  (includes Row 37)
      - remove it from the spec?
      - specify that only the Init function can return values?

8b) BIRD 121, data management parameters (file support)
    - questions, comments?

8c) BIRD 124, dependency table

9)  Back-channel proposals from SiSoft and Sigrity

Remaining Task List items:
==========================

Row 18: What is the ambiguity between Format and Text Strings?
        - answer:  See row 25

Row 21: According to the BNF, the Format = Table syntax is invalid.
        - If Format is removed, this s not a problem, but if Format
          is there the problem still exists.  Do we need to fix this?
          - we will address this when talking about Table

Row 22: The syntax for a leaf is:
        (Row 22 in Task List)
           So in a Table which is written like this:   (-50 -0.1 1e-35),
           -50 is actually a parameter name, i.e. a string, not a value.
        -deprecate Table back to List?
        - we will address this when talking about Table

Row 23/24: Fix the two tables to reflect what is in the text
           - Bob started a BIRD draft which will be finalized
             as other BIRDs are completed

Row 25: Define relationship between Type and Format
        - discuss Walter's suggestions

Row 26: This is basically the same as the items in Row 46-47.

Row 33: Is AMI_Init restricted to change first column of impulse_matrix
        only?
        - Sigrity is writing a BIRD draft on this (Ken)

Row 35: Clarify questions about impulse response
        - this needs to be discussed

Row 37: Usage Out for reserved (jitter) parameters
        - which function (Init or GetWave) can return these?

Row 46/47: Remove certain parameters and keywords
           - this needs to be discussed

   Buffer Issue Resolution Document  (BIRD)
BIRD ID#:       {TBD}
ISSUE TITLE:    Clarification of the Table Format for IBIS AMI.
REQUESTOR:      Ambrish Varma, Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
DATE SUBMITTED: March 22,2011
DATE REVISED:
DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM:
STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE:
The definition of Format Table is unclear when there is only 1 row in the
Table in the 5.0 version of the IBIS spec.
STATEMENT OF THE RESOLVED SPECIFICATIONS:

On pg. 140 replace the following lines:

|     Table     The parameter name "Table" names a branch of the parameter
|               tree rather than a single leaf.  One of the leaves of this
|               branch can be named "Labels" and, if provided, is to be
|               assigned a string value containing a list of column names.

with these lines:

|     Table     The parameter name "Table" names a branch of the parameter
|*              tree rather than a single leaf.  For Usage In, if the table
|*              has more than one row, the first column will be considered
|*              to be the Parameter Name for that row. If the table has only
|*              1 row, parameter name for that row is not expected and the
|*                          entire row will be passed as value to the parent
parameter.
|*              One of the leaves of a Table can be named "Labels" and,
|*              if provided, is to be assigned a string value containing
|*              a list of column names.

ANALYSIS PATH/DATA THAT LED TO SPECIFICATION:
The existing IBIS specification lacks clear definition the Format 'Table'
and how it should be treated when used as a format for a Usage 'In' parameter.
Because of prior use, and possible future use, distinction has to be made
between
a single-row table and a multi-row table. A single row table does not need a
parameter name for the row and the parent parameter is used in the string that
gets passed back to the model. However, if there are multiple rows in the table,
the first column of the row is considered to be a parameter name for that row.

A single-row table example:
      (fwd (Usage In) (Type Float)
                        (Table ( -0.169324 1.40308 0.33024)
                        )
           )
In this case, the AMI model will expect a paramter string
      (fwd -0.169324 1.40308 0.33024 )

A multi-row table example:
      (fwd (Usage in) (Type Float)
           (Table
                     ( Row1 -0.169324  1.40308   0.33024 )
                     ( Row2 -0.738358 -0.293473 -0.06912 )
           )
      )
In this case, the AMI model will expect a paramter string
(fwd (Row1 -0.169324 1.40308 0.33024 )(Row2 -0.738358 -0.293473 -0.06912))

ANY OTHER BACKGROUND INFORMATION:

   Buffer Issue Resolution Document  (BIRD)
BIRD ID#:       {TBD}
ISSUE TITLE:    Defining Relationships between Type and Format
REQUESTOR:      Ambrish Varma, Cadence Design Systems, Inc.
DATE SUBMITTED: March 08,2011
DATE REVISED:
DATE ACCEPTED BY IBIS OPEN FORUM:
STATEMENT OF THE ISSUE:
The relationship between parameter type and their format is unclear in the
5.0 version of the IBIS spec.
STATEMENT OF THE RESOLVED SPECIFICATIONS:

Add the following text and table after Table 3 in Section 6c.

|               The following table defines the relationships between the
different Format
|       and Data Types for Reserved or Model Specific Parameters
|

|                           +-------------------------------------------------+
|                           |                 Data Type                       |
| =============================================================================
| | Format                  | Float |  UI  | Integer | String | Boolean | Tap |
| +-------------------------+-------+------+---------+--------+---------+-----+
| | Value                   |   X      X        X         X        X       X  |
| | Range                   |   X      X        X                          X  |
| | Corner                  |   X      X        X         X        X       X  |
| | List                    |   X      X        X         X        X       X  |
| | Increment               |   X      X        X                          X  |
| | Steps                   |   X      X        X                          X  |
| | Gaussian                |   X      X        X                             |
| | Dual-Dirac              |   X      X        X                             |
| | DjRj                    |   X      X        X                             |
| | Table                   |   X      X        X         X        X          |

| Table 4: Allowed Data Types for Format Values

ANALYSIS PATH/DATA THAT LED TO SPECIFICATION:
The existing IBIS specification lacks clear definition of the relationship
between AMI parameter types and their format. This BIRD proposes a table with
all the possible allowed combinations for Reserved as well as Model Specific
AMI Parameters.
ANY OTHER BACKGROUND INFORMATION: