[ibis-macro] Re: IBIS-AMI Model Portability

  • From: <colin_warwick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 14:40:13 -0600

Hi Todd,

I'd say the first model is giving the wrong answer, because RX_Noise was
clearly important (otherwise why bother adding it?) and now it's been deleted.
This similar to the problem with models that have compliant syntax and
proprietary semantics. They run in a simulator that lack the proprietary
extension, but they give the wrong answer, which is worse than not running at
all.

On the bigger issue, I know there are good intensions behind the velocity that
they bring, but the obvious danger (if models with proprietary extensions
become widespread) is the standard gets hijacked and the proprietary extension
becomes a de facto standard. That benefits the one EDA company that controls
the extension, but it's to the detriment of the other Forum contributors: the
other EDA companies, all the IC model producers, and all the OEM model
consumers.

SPICE models started off with Berkeley SPICE, then we had vendor-specific
SPICE dialect models, then the antithesis of portability: vendor-encryption-key
SPICE models.

I guess Syed's point is he wants to avoid that fate for IBIS.

FWIW, IMHO, my $0.02 etc...

-- Colin