[ibis-interconn] Re: Why is not the contents of Touchstone file not Transfer Functions

  • From: Bob Ross <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir" <vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 11:39:11 -0700

Hi Vladimir:

Good discussion, and you raise some specific cases where we could "legally"\
apply a name, a name with modifiers, or a different name.

I would have to re-read the Touchstone document just to look at
precise application of terminology.  However, I think we did a
good job, and we also chose to maintain the original (generic)
terminology, as an accepted terminology without considering
whether it might be technically incorrect or incomplete in some
rigorous sense.

For me, the primary guidance for terminology is the technical
literature (books, technical papers, articles, vendor application
notes, etc.).  Several terms are used, and X-parameters
and X-matrix are often used.

With respect to the sparse problem, the proposals document
index mapping from locations (of a reduced collection of complex-values)
to the full (or upper-half or lower-half) matrix indices which
happen to correspond to the implicit port numbers or just matrix
positions (for mixed mode order).  So we are not even
concerned about the meaning of the entries.

Bob

Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir wrote:
Hi Bob,

Mathematically, we can call S/Y/Z parameter matrices 'transfer functions' or
'transfer characteristics'. They all could be unambiguously derived once the
vector or excitations X and vector of responses Y are defined. Then, transfer
functions become matrices, with entries being either complex value functions of
frequency, or real value functions of time, or sampled dependences defined on
frequency or time. (Since function is a quite broad concept, a synonym for
'mapping' so that it maps one set to another. The set could be continuous or
discrete therefore sampled dependence also falls under definition of function).

No doubts that we all in this forum exactly understand every word when
discussing the structure and content of our data files. This is good but also
poses some danger.
From practical point of view we should select the terms easily understood by majority of
engineers and avoid those even legal expressions that could be misunderstood. Here, we
may use the words 'function' or 'transfer' function to denote only continuous functions
given analytically or assumed being continuous before they were sampled. In this sense,
the 'sampled transfer function' should be a legal term for the content of the Touchstone
files. But we can also call it 'sampled dependence'. As to terms "matrix and
vector", we may also need some convention here. For example, through the documents,
we should consistently apply the term 'sampled transfer function' or 'sampled dependence'
only to scalar complex dependence, or, to a single entry of the frequency-dependent
matrix (S/Y/Z or others). Then, the matrix should be called the 'matrix of sampled
dependences' for the case of sampled (Touchstone) and or 'matrix of transfer functions'
for analytical (e.g. pole-zero or other)
representations respectively. In general, a matrix may not necessarily be
square, and so is the matrix-value transfer function (if the # of excitations
and responses are different). However, here we are only dealing with square
matrices assuming that the size of input and output vectors is the same (or do
we need more generality here? I'm not sure, because square-ness follows from
definitions of S/Y/Z etc. parameters).

Some confusion is also associated with the word 'vector'. Most logically, the
only two vectors we should deal with here are the vector of input excitations
and the vector of responses, both sized to the number of ports. For
S-parameters, they are vector of incident and reflected waves (A and B).
We should avoid applying the word 'vector' to the collection of frequency
samples that e.g. describe S(1,1). We understand that the term 'vector' is of
course valid here, but let's not use it in this sense. Also, we should not call
vector the rows and columns of the matrix.

The word 'parameter' in our context should then be only associated with the
type of data we consider: S/Y/Z, ABCD, G, H, etc.

Even if we won't be able to always follow the convention, it would be desirable
to reduce the ambiguity as much as possible.

Vladimir