[ibis-editorial] IBIS Editorial Committee AR for Section 10A formatting

  • From: "Bob Ross" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ibis-editorial@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 23:14:54 -0700

Editing Committee:

Per the AR, here is a draft that shows a lot of proposed changes
for Section 10A based on revising  Version 125 plus some other changes
and some of the new text in Version 130.  The main point is to
settle on the section format style first.

The line feed inconsistencies in this proposal are still a problem, which I
could not resolve.  We have to fix this before moving on.

Some changes:

1.  Get rid of any section numbers in Section 10A - they are meaningless.

2. Used only Times Roman internally or Courier but that can change LATER.
Also, some of the Table entries such as fonts and X sizes were converted
to Times Roman.

I only use italics for template names such as Example: or Examples:
That can change, but Times Roman inside examples is intentional
in most cases - even for describing a specific example under Examples:

3. I only bolded names and removed italics.  I did not bold the arguments.
However,  "Format <data_format>" and" <data_format>" are intentionally
bolded
since we chose to make Format optional.  I do not know what to do with
the special word "Labels" under Table, so I added it as bolded to the Table
title.

4. I corrected the hierarchy.   This has to be correct before we
even start making editorial changes.

5. The single vs. double quote issue may to be different
for AMI sections since I now want to use AMI_Version "5.1"
as a shortcut for the QUOTED STRING argument for AMI_Version
files versus the IBIS unquoted sting (like IBIS Version 5.1).
In the AMI sections, we might also be careful if we use "0" in the
text meaning integer 0.  I did not make any changes in this area
since we still need to decide what to do.

6. The keyword template is shown as intended - Descriptors,
Other Notes, etc. should be italics as shown.  More information
can be put in Other Notes - such as the fixed rules under certain
reserved parameters for Table columns.  The example then
gives a sample Table with values.  Numerical entries are needed
in some examples that relate to the different format selections.

7. I reduced some indentations in a consistent manner such that
definition and explanation text is aligned directly under the word
being discussed rather than indented under the word.

8. I tried to use a consistent format for the examples in Table.

9. I made other changes such as moving the note regarding
no multipliers for AMI files directly under Float.

10. Some reformatting of the examples for a consistent
alignment under Table but further work might be needed.

11. Under Table, made the previously bolded items for
Type, Type, and Labels as Courier and indented (as in the
original BIRD132).

12.  Some changes such as inconsistent indentation for
bullet items were not fixed.

13.  Most prior Version 5.0 vs. AMI_Version 5.1 Reserved_Parameters
distinctions were eliminated since the AMI_Version "5.1" rules are
now used.  Now, only a few few rules are listed.

14. Also part of this Note:

Notes:
1.      Throughout the section, text strings inside the symbols "<" and ">"
should be considered to be supplied or substituted by the model maker.  Text
strings inside "<" and ">" are not reserved and can be replaced.
2.      Throughout the document, terms "long", "double" etc. are used to
indicate the data types in the C programming language as published in
ISO/IEC 9899-1999.

belongs in Section 10..   Other syntactical conventions such as { } for
optional could
be added - as with {Format} in this section.

------

These are most of the changes I want to consider. Simplifying
the format as the first step to get clarity.  I just want to get everything
properly positioned before we fill in the obvious missing information (e.g.,
what is Gaussian.?) and start writing and re-writing everything with a
consistent
style and start using consistent terminology.

Bob

--
Bob Ross
Teraspeed Consulting Group, LCC

Teraspeed is a registered service mark of Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC