[ian-reeds-games] Re: Tactical Battle 1.11 dev 9

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 16:38:55 -0700

Hi everyone,

Carlos, great top 3. I've been hearing people asking for multiplayer a lot recently. It really is a huge feature, but I've been putting some thought into what it would take, so we'll see.
Glad you found the email in your spam folder.

Craig, also great top 3. Team wide points are still planned, but might not be next in line anymore. I still rmemeber that both you and Carlos requested it the first time around so I'll keep that in mind. Did you want your map pack placed on the map packs page? My general rule is I only put them up if people specifically request it, so let me know if you want it up there.

Hadi, multiplayer is a good one. Would you like to swap out one of your top 3 for it?

Here's the link to the map packs page, it has Allan's one shot wonders map pack as well as most of the others that have come through the list:
http://www.blindaudiogames.com/Home/MapPacks

You can also go to the blindaudiogames.com page and click on the map pack downloads link to get to it. That way people don't have to go through all the old emails searching for links.

Allan, great to hear about your map pack update and that things are working correctly now. I imagine the map where the player controls the zombies is easier than the other, but fun to get the tables turned. Did you end up liking the fog of war for the zombie maps? Don't ever feel pressured to use a feature just because it exists.
Every map creator should make their maps the way they think works best.

Austen, did the issues you were seeing clear up? I'm still not able to reproduce them.

Everyone, just a thought I had on ai_wait_until_enemy_in_sight.
When using that feature you may want to give the AI 2 more sight range than the average player controlled unit. This is because the individual AI unit really won't activate until it sees an enemy itself. So for instance if all units had 5 sight range and you had a warrior approaching a line of kobolds. The player could stop the warrior as soon as he sees the first kobold and end his turn, then only that kobold would come after the warrior, while his buddies who were right next to him, but just barely out of sight range do nothing. If the AI sees just a little farther then when the warrior sees the first kobold he's already activated that kobold plus any kobold buddies within 2 spaces of that first kobold.
I think this will work better for a lot of scenarios.
Some day we will get an ai_wait_until_action_in_sight which would make kobolds activate if they see their buddies doing something, but that takes more work than the already implemented flag.

Later all,