[ian-reeds-games] Some responses

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 18:24:19 -0700

Hey all!

I'm going to try and catch up on emails a bit. It's great to see all the discussion.

Allan, I wasn't referring to your sounds at all. I actually haven't had a chance to try the updated map yet so I couldn't say either way.
Just to reclarify on the pre and hit sound idea.

When you use a skill the skill_pre.wav file would be played first if one exists. Then when it finishes, or immediately if there wasn't one, both skill.wav and target_unit_hit.wav would play at the same time.
I like the causes_hit flag for both skills and effects.
While it's a bit more work for MC's it does allow for better customization, after all there might be some situations where you shouldn't hear the hit sound, such as when you lose health due to hunger in the Tomb Robber series.
I think it's a bit simpler for me to implement too.

Craig, I've definitely heard of Red Alert though I only played it briefly. It was very popular. I've added your Red Alert map pack to the map packs page so it's easy for all of us to find later. There's no way to unsubscribe from an event. You could potentially handle this by looking at what was passed to you and comparing against a variable on the global object to see if you want to do anything this time around or ignore it this time. I think Java does something a little similar by having you subscribe to all events on an object but then only do things when you care about them. The documented events are the only ones that currently exist but we can definitely add new ones such as turn_end if they are going to be useful to you.

Allan, good thinking on the sound profiles. I've seen some games have male, female and neuter. For the time being the workaround of making 2 types of units is what we'll stick with. Though when we get closer to an RPG maker I could see sound profiles being very nice. Even to the point that Baldur's Gate had them where when you created a new character you got to choose from a list of sound profiles. Also similar to Aprone's swamp which let's you choose which sound profile to use while playing.

I've added your note about a flying_step_sound to my list.
Will Zak's suggestion of having the sound not play if the unit is flying and the terrain has the not_affect_flying flag be a good enough solution?
I might do it that way.

Zak, interesting to know about the "is a" thing in SoundRTS.
I've added it to my list as even if we don't use it for sound profiles there are probably a lot of uses for it as things get more complex.

Garrett, the dev versions of the game do not normally come with any map packs. This text is on the map packs page just below where you downloaded the dev version. Note: The dev versions of Tactical Battle do not come with any map packs. You must download, unzip and place them in the Map Packs folder. The latest full release of Tactical Battle can be found on the home page of this website.
I'll consider moving it above the link and rephrasing the text above.

Dev 3 is almost here. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the list of changes.