[ian-reeds-games] Seeking Sound Designer

  • From: Ian Reed <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ian-reeds-games@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 17:12:45 -0700

Hi I'm re-posting a message by Joseph Westhouse posted on the audiogames.net forum at this link:

http://forum.audiogames.net/viewtopic.php?id=12070

Below is the content of his post for your convenience:
Greetings, all!
About five months ago, Ian Reed and I started work on a project to showcase a new game engine he was developing. The game is a story-driven fantasy RPG with first-person exploration, turn-based combat, and extensive dialogue and character interaction. As our passion and excitement for this game has grown, it's evolved into something much larger and more well-developed than we'd anticipated. Some time ago, we came to the realization that we would need a dedicated sound designer. I've handled a decent portion of the early sound design, but the needs of the game are far greater than my technical skills, or time on hand, will allow, especially considering the other facets of the game that require my attention. So we're sending out the call for a sound designer. We're looking for someone who's willing to commit to the project and engage with us creatively, working as part of the team and dedicating the time and effort necessary to see the project through to completion. There is the possibility for this position to be paid (contact me for specific details), and if working on this game is as much of a dream come true for you as it has been for me, we're very interested in building working relationships that could extend to the development of future games. If all goes well, this project will not be the last. So, is this project right for you? That depends on how you answer the following questions: - Do you have an extensive library of sounds to which you own the rights, and/or are you willing to spearhead efforts to obtain any sounds we may need? - Do you have the skills and equipment necessary to create and/or edit sound effects and ambiences for this project? - Do you enjoy sound design so much that you'd do it all the time, if you had the chance? - Do you have the tenacity to stick with a major project, recognizing that it will not be finished overnight? - Do you have a burning desire to create accessible games that bring to blind gamers the richness and depth enjoyed by sighted audiences? If your answers were a unanimous "Yes!" then I would very much like to hear from you. Even if you're not sure if this project is for you, I'd be happy to answer any questions and provide you with more information about the project. In case my email doesn't work properly through the forum, you can contact me at joseph.westhouse@xxxxxxxxx. If you're seriously interested in partnering with us in this project, any sort of portfolio you can provide would be very useful. Of particular help would be information about any games or other projects for which you've done the soundscape or effects; being able to listen to your work will help us get a feel for who you are as an artist, and that's very valuable. It would also be great to hear any sound effects that you may have created, either from scratch/foley or by editing existing sounds. I look forward to hearing from you. If you're not a sound designer and actually read this far, stay tuned! We still have a ways to go yet, but it won't be that long before we need beta testers, and after that, it's only a matter of time before the public release. Like I said, any questions or input are welcome. Thanks!
~ Joseph