Re: [i3] i3status with battery at 100+

  • From: Michael Stapelberg <michael@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Discussions/Questions about the i3 window manager <i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "BRAGA, Bruno" <bruno.braga@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 20:58:14 +0200

Hi Bruno,

Quoting BRAGA, Bruno (2012-07-23 16:54:37)

It is really a small thing, but decided to write about it anyway...
I know it is not a i3 bug, because the proc/acpi is returning this wrongfully.
Rule of thumb: Please always describe what you are seeing. From your
screenshots, I think you are talking about your battery having a charge
status of more than 100%. While this might seem odd at first you have to
understand that the design capacity is only a value which the
manufacturer of the battery sets. It is perfectly normal that batteries
achieve more than that in their first few discharge cycles. Just as it’s
normal that the battery won’t achieve the full design capacity after
some discharge cycles :).

1) never allow battery value to surpass 100% (this happens specially while
using last full capacity) - this is not a bug, but it makes no sense to
display
as such
It does make sense to display it. The information that your battery is
fuller than normal is important, too.

2) the state shows charged but i3status displays BAT, as in discharging (I
believe this is a bug)
Does this happen all the time? If so, can you check if your battery
uevent file contains the POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS key and which value it has
please?

3) when the charging is close to 100%, the battery goes red (I believe this
happens because of the remaining time to become full - and looks like a bug as
well)
This is weird. The remaining time is only checked when the state is
'discharging'. But it displays CHR (charging) in your screenshot. Fixes
welcome.

Best regards,
Michael