[i3] Get list of workspaces

  • From: Anders Bo Rasmussen <fuzz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 14:07:34 +0200

Hi.

I'm currently switching from wmii to i3. It seems to work well so far,
but just have to make the last things work before I can use i3 all the
time.

I'm trying to get mod+t and mod+shift+t to work like in wmii. That
will say that mod+t should shift to a workspace selected by dmenu and
mod+shift+t should move the current window to a workspace selected by
dmenu. My solution so far is:

#switch to dmenu-selected-tag
bindsym Mod3+t exec bash -c 'cat /dev/null | dmenu | xargs -i i3-msg
workspace {}'

#move window to dmenu-selected-tag
bindsym Mod3+Shift+t exec bash -c 'cat /dev/null | dmenu | xargs -i
i3-msg move container to workspace {}'

That works well. The only problem is that dmenu doesn't get any list
of currently available workspaces. Is there a way I can get this list?