Re: [i3] i3 tree visualization program

  • From: Layus <layus.on@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Discussions/Questions about the i3 window manager <i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 02:42:48 +0200

Hi,

On 09/07/12 15:21, Michael Stapelberg wrote:

Hi Brian,

Quoting Brian Pitts (2012-07-08 20:00:57)
I wanted to share with the group a program I wrote for visualizing the i3 tree
structure. Here's an example of what it produces:
[...]
I hope you find it useful. Pull requests with improvements are welcome.
Sweet. It doesn’t properly display scratchpad windows, though (while
it does list the __i3_scratch pseudo workspace).

Best regards,
Michael
I wanted to drop a small change I made,
as the "layout" field seems as necessary as the "orientation" one.

For example an horizontal container can have either a tabbed or default layout.
Conversely, a default layout can be oriented vertically or horizontally.

Here is an example with my "usual" desktop,
using obvious modifications to your script.

Workspace __i3_scratch (default - none)
Workspace 1 (default - horizontal)
Split (tabbed - horizontal)
Split (stacked - vertical)
Window i3: i3-msg(1) - Mozilla Firefox
Split (stacked - vertical)
Window Inbox - layus.on@xxxxxxxxx - Mozilla Thunderbird
Window Write: Re: [i3] i3 tree visualization program - Unicode (UTF-8)
Workspace 2 (default - vertical)
Window rxvt-256color
Window Terminal

I think that the orientation can even be omitted as it is superseded by the layout in most cases,
except the one cited above, with the default layout.

Am I right if I say that the default layout is the only one to be influenced by the orientation ?

Best regards,
Layus.

PS : Using a "complicated" layout as in workspace 1 often causes i3 to crash when moving windows around.
I'm going to fill some bug report, or investigate this furthermore in the following days.