Re: [i3] Gesture recognizer dev approach

  • From: Fernando Lemos <fernandotcl@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Discussions/Questions about the i3 window manager" <i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2012 16:03:49 -0300

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 7:02 AM, Ahmet Emre Çepoğlu <aecepoglu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There are obvious issues though
And sadly, there are not many window managers like i3 that's easy to
communicate with. For example when I need to list available workspaces in a
window manager other than i3, I will have to implement workspaces myself,
because there is no means of learning about them from blackbox. When this is
the case, it's better to embed the gesture recognizer within the window
manager.

Most window managers implement enough of the EWMH spec to support
pagers. You can use that to get information about the workspaces as
well as request that the window manager switches to a different
workspace.

Regards,