[i3] focus issue

  • From: David Schmid <gdkags@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: i3-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 20:53:07 +0200

Hi guys!

I've read through the archive and did not find anything regarding my problems so here I go recreating my problems:

I open two terminal windows (mod+enter, twice), then move the mouse back and forth between them, focus follows.
Then, I mark some lines in one of the terminals, move my pointer back to the other terminal, focus does not follow there.
Clicking the terminal does not cause the focus to follow. When I use the keyboard to switch the focus it works, but then moving my pointer back to the first terminal the focus will not follow again.

This is the most simple example, there are more, much more annoying implications this bug (if this is one) brings with it. For example:

Using thunderbird, pressing ctrl+m will spawn the new mail window, but the focus is screwed up again like in the example before.
If a dialog pops up (focused) and I click something on it my click goes right through the dialog into the container behind it.

There are much more issues, if you need more, I will send more.

The only thing helping to regain the ability to focus normally is to switch to another workspace and back. But toggling workspaces after every click is quite cumbersome, so, what do I do?

I'm using "i3-wm 4.2-2" on a x86_64 archlinux standard kernel and tried the forums there already one year ago, but nobody could help.

Can you?

Best regards,
David
# This file has been auto-generated by i3-config-wizard(1).
# It will not be overwritten, so edit it as you like.
#
# Should you change your keyboard layout somewhen, delete
# this file and re-run i3-config-wizard(1).
#

# i3 config file (v4)
#
# Please see http://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html for a complete reference!

set $mod Mod4

# font for window titles. ISO 10646 = Unicode
font -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-C-70-iso10646-1

# Use Mouse+$mod to drag floating windows to their wanted position
floating_modifier $mod

# start a terminal
bindsym $mod+Return exec i3-sensible-terminal

# kill focused window
bindsym $mod+Shift+Q kill

# start dmenu (a program launcher)
bindsym $mod+d exec dmenu_run

# change focus
bindsym $mod+j focus left
bindsym $mod+k focus down
bindsym $mod+l focus up
bindsym $mod+semicolon focus right

# alternatively, you can use the cursor keys:
bindsym $mod+Left focus left
bindsym $mod+Down focus down
bindsym $mod+Up focus up
bindsym $mod+Right focus right

# move focused window
bindsym $mod+Shift+J move left
bindsym $mod+Shift+K move down
bindsym $mod+Shift+L move up
bindsym $mod+Shift+colon move right

# alternatively, you can use the cursor keys:
bindsym $mod+Shift+Left move left
bindsym $mod+Shift+Down move down
bindsym $mod+Shift+Up move up
bindsym $mod+Shift+Right move right

# split in horizontal orientation
bindsym $mod+h split h

# split in vertical orientation
bindsym $mod+v split v

# enter fullscreen mode for the focused container
bindsym $mod+f fullscreen

# change container layout (stacked, tabbed, default)
bindsym $mod+s layout stacking
bindsym $mod+w layout tabbed
bindsym $mod+e layout default

# toggle tiling / floating
bindsym $mod+Shift+space floating toggle

# change focus between tiling / floating windows
bindsym $mod+space focus mode_toggle

# focus the parent container
bindsym $mod+a focus parent

# focus the child container
#bindcode $mod+d focus child

# switch to workspace
bindsym $mod+1 workspace 1
bindsym $mod+2 workspace 2
bindsym $mod+3 workspace 3
bindsym $mod+4 workspace 4
bindsym $mod+5 workspace 5
bindsym $mod+6 workspace 6
bindsym $mod+7 workspace 7
bindsym $mod+8 workspace 8
bindsym $mod+9 workspace 9
bindsym $mod+0 workspace 10

# move focused container to workspace
bindsym $mod+Shift+exclam move workspace 1
bindsym $mod+Shift+at move workspace 2
bindsym $mod+Shift+numbersign move workspace 3
bindsym $mod+Shift+dollar move workspace 4
bindsym $mod+Shift+percent move workspace 5
bindsym $mod+Shift+asciicircum move workspace 6
bindsym $mod+Shift+ampersand move workspace 7
bindsym $mod+Shift+asterisk move workspace 8
bindsym $mod+Shift+parenleft move workspace 9
bindsym $mod+Shift+parenright move workspace 10

# reload the configuration file
bindsym $mod+Shift+C reload
# restart i3 inplace (preserves your layout/session, can be used to upgrade i3)
bindsym $mod+Shift+R restart
# exit i3 (logs you out of your X session)
bindsym $mod+Shift+E exit

# resize window (you can also use the mouse for that)
mode "resize" {
# These bindings trigger as soon as you enter the resize mode

# They resize the border in the direction you pressed, e.g.
# when pressing left, the window is resized so that it has
# more space on its left

bindsym j resize shrink left 10 px or 10 ppt
bindsym Shift+J resize grow left 10 px or 10 ppt

bindsym k resize shrink down 10 px or 10 ppt
bindsym Shift+K resize grow down 10 px or 10 ppt

bindsym l resize shrink up 10 px or 10 ppt
bindsym Shift+L resize grow up 10 px or 10 ppt

bindsym semicolon resize shrink right 10 px or 10 ppt
bindsym Shift+colon resize grow right 10 px or 10 ppt

# same bindings, but for the arrow keys
bindsym Left resize shrink left 10 px or 10 ppt
bindsym Shift+Left resize grow left 10 px or 10 ppt

bindsym Down resize shrink down 10 px or 10 ppt
bindsym Shift+Down resize grow down 10 px or 10 ppt

bindsym Up resize shrink up 10 px or 10 ppt
bindsym Shift+Up resize grow up 10 px or 10 ppt

bindsym Right resize shrink right 10 px or 10 ppt
bindsym Shift+Right resize grow right 10 px or 10 ppt

# back to normal: Enter or Escape
bindsym Return mode "default"
bindsym Escape mode "default"
}

bindsym $mod+r mode "resize"

# Start i3bar to display a workspace bar (plus the system information i3status
# finds out, if available)
bar {
status_command i3status
}