[huskerlug] Re: Speaking of Knoppix and things related....

  • From: GreyGeek <Jkreps@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: huskerlug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 13:00:53 -0600

On Monday 17 January 2005 10:45 am, Jim Worrest wrote:
>  In the Knoppix Hacks book there is a hack for using Knoppix to
> install Gentoo,

Ya, I used the hack just before that to try Knoppix as 'unstable' but that was
too unstable for me.  I considered trying Gentoo after I had played with the
Debian clones for a while, but after my apt-get experiences I researched
'portage' and 'emerge' on Google and noticed folks have essentially the same
problems with them as with apt-get/apt-cache etc...

One thing I found that I disliked about Debain was the .deb package itself,
and the need to use "alien" to convert other packages to .deb.   SUSE, MDK,
FC and others seem more open to adding software without using alien.  Last
weekend, for example, I used ndiswrapper to install three wireless cards on
two laptops and a desktop.  Not having to convert ndiswrapper to a .deb
before I installed it was nice.

--
GreyGeek